VP, Data Architecture
- Houston, TX, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Verisk Business: Wood Mackenzie
- Department: Data Science
Wood Mackenzie is the global leader in data, analysis and consulting across the energy, chemicals, metals, mining, power and renewables sectors.
Founded in 1973, our success has always been underpinned by the simple principle of providing trusted research and advice that makes a difference to our customers. Today we have over 2,000 customers ranging from the largest global energy companies and financial institutions to governments as well as smaller market specialists.
Our teams are located around the world. This enables us to stay closely connected with customers and the markets and sectors we cover. Collectively this allows us to offer a compelling combination of global commodity analysis with detailed local market knowledge.
We are committed to supporting our people to grow and thrive. We value different perspectives and aspire to create an inclusive environment that encourages diversity and fosters a sense of belonging. We are committed to creating a workplace that works for you and encourage everyone to get involved in our Wellness, Diversity and Inclusion, and Community Engagement initiatives. We actively support flexible working and are happy to consider alternative work patterns, taking into account your needs and the needs of the team or division that you are looking to join.
Hear what our team has to say about working with us:
We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the fifth consecutive year. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk’s Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
Wood Mackenzie has an exciting opportunity for a Head of Data Architecture with excellent problem solving, teamwork and leadership skills to join our industry-leading data analytics organization. Wood Mackenzie are an industry-leading data analytics company that provides analysis and insight on the world’s natural resources. Our global team are working on a next generation, data analysis & visualization platform utilized by our customers to drive billion-dollar decisions.
About the role
Working within our Data group, you will be responsible for our system of data flows, common data models, and collaborating cross-functionally on the data interfaces of our technology platform. Our new platform is designed with a cloud-first approach utilising serverless, micro services, and modern application development practices.
You will be collaborating with teams that manage our shared data assets to provide mentorship on data schemas, taxonomy, data dictionaries to ensure our data assets serve the widest range of analytic use cases. Your data architecture will integrate and enable linkages across our data estate, so our customers can realize value from making better decisions based on better data.
- Provide strategic and technical leadership and expertise in data architecture across the enterprise, to ensure effective management of shared data assets
- Provide thoughtful input to the overall strategy and technology direction for the ongoing enhancement of our existing data assets and development of new data assets
- Work in collaboration with cross functional teams and wider stakeholders to design, evolve and communicate the architecture of our data estate, how data flows through our pipelines, and how products, models, and users will utilize our data assets
- Translating long term business vision to a strategic and tactical data roadmap to continuously improve the value of our data assets
- Solve complex design problems in the areas of entity relationships, data integration, batch and streaming data, structured and unstructured data.
- Understanding of the issues businesses face and experience working with them to create data models and data flows that generate trusted, high quality, high cadence, and widely integrated data for analytics professionals to access and combine without friction
- Promote a culture of collaboration by contributing to architectural activities of wider technology efforts
- Champion career development programs to retain top talent
- Inspire a culture of continuous learning, especially in acquiring and integrating new data
- Build, lead and motivate high performing teams to deliver high quality outcomes
- Drive groups of disparate interests to decisions, and clearly communicating and seeing those decisions through to impact
- Maintaining strong expertise and knowledge of current and emerging technologies and products
- Manage stakeholders at different levels (C-level, SVPs, VPs, Principal Engineers) within Wood Mackenzie and Verisk
This is a key hire for our Data leadership team and so to be successful in this role you will have excellent leadership and stakeholder management capabilities.
- Strong technical foundation gained in a senior engineering/architecture leadership role with proven experience in software product architectures and specifically data platforms and analytics.
- Track record of successful delivery with enterprise data management initiatives in organisations with legacy data estates
- Significant database development and pipeline engineering, experience in designing and architecting elements of data platforms
- Solid understanding of a wide range of database types, including relational, graph, flat files, columnar file structures, etc.
- Experience with servlerless, microservices, data lakes, and batch and streaming pipelines
- Hands on experience with key AWS data technologies such as S3, Athena, Glue, RDS, Elasticsearch service, EMR, Lake Formation.
- Experience with techniques across engineering disciplines in an enterprise wide setting, including software development, data, infrastructure, operations and quality assurance
- Experience with large and complex systems and with the typical technical considerations involved in designing such systems.
- Expert across data related languages (Python, R, SQL, etc.)
- Manage competing priorities, multiple work streams and meet deadlines
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Critical thinker and problem solver demonstrating the ability to assess business challenges and provide actionable, outcome-based business/technical advice
- Collaborative leadership style, driving direction through influence and manage ambiguous situations
- Developing coaching and mentoring individuals and teams
- An ability to build strategic internal partnerships with key roles across the organisation and positively impact change
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.