Senior Environmental Data Analyst
- London, UK
- Verisk Business: Maplecroft
Verisk Maplecroft’s data-driven approach to risk enables multinational organizations to understand how and where political, human rights and environmental risks impact their assets, investments, reputations and supply chains. We give our clients the tools to pinpoint and quantify their risk across 150+ issues for any location worldwide, and the expert analysis and advice they need to make better, risk-adjusted decisions that will improve the commercial performance, resilience and sustainability of their business. To learn more about please visit us at: www.maplecroft.com We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the fifth consecutive year. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk’s Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
As Senior Environmental Data Analyst within the Analytics team, you will form part of the team responsible for the development and improvement of the company’s core datasets. Your numeracy skills, thematic knowledge of environmental issues, commercial awareness, and strategic vision will drive the ongoing evolution and development of the Environment and Climate datasets and maximize their commercial potential. You will have the opportunity to be creative through the development of new datasets, models, and products that deliver environmental risk intelligence to our corporate, investor and insurance clients in line with our data strategy. You will be based in Bath or London in the UK and report to the Head of Analytics.
About the day to day responsibilities of the role:
- Develop and deliver the strategic vision of the dataset in response and in anticipation of client demand, competitive offerings, and industry, regulatory and legislative trends.
- Own the Environmental risk dataset, lead on innovation and take responsibility for delivering updates.
- Improve the datasets by synthesizing client feedback, identifying and/or creating new data sources, and implementing new approaches and methodologies.
- Support Sales colleagues with client questions and selling support.
- Write periodic data-rich thought leadership pieces for clients and the media.
- Utilize your quantitative expertise and deep domain Knowledge to support in the design and delivery of Consulting projects.
- Occasional input into other core datasets (Politics, Human Rights, Economic, Industry, Commodity, Corporate Exposure).
- Masters level (or equivalent) qualification in a subject with a quantitative element (required)
- Strong domain knowledge in climate change, earth systems, natural hazards, or environment-related field (required)
- Experience working in a client-facing role with proven ability to communicate complex information to non-technical audiences (required)
- Advanced Excel skills (required)
- Ability to work with large, multi-dimensional data (e.g. netCDF, GRIB, TIFF files), using Linux and command line scripting (i.e. bash, zsh) in cloud computing environments (preferred)
- Experience working with climate models (i.e. CMIP5 GCMs, RCMs, etc.) (preferred)
- 5+ years of work experience in a quantitative role (preferred)
- Broad knowledge of typical business risks facing companies and investors (preferred)
- Additional technical skills like programming (Python, R), GIS (Arc, QGIS) and data visualization (PowerBI, Tableau) (preferred)
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
- Verisk: People Advocate - Believes in the power and potential of those around them. Creates opportunity for development and engagement across teams.
- Verisk: Operator - Applies ownership mindset to every choice they make; acting as if Verisk were their own small business.
- Verisk: Innovator - Creates value by thinking of better products, services, and opportunities. Believes change is essential to survive and thrive.
- Verisk: Culture Creator - Creates and nourishes an environment that best serves and lives up to our responsibility to others. Believes in leaving everything we touch better than we found it.
- Potential: Drive
- Potential: Engage
- Potential: Change
- Potential: Applied Thinking