Mid-latitude/Extratropical Atmospheric Perils Team Lead
- Boston, MA, USA
- Verisk Business: AIR Worldwide
- Department: Analytics Community
AIR Worldwide (AIR), a Verisk business, provides risk modeling solutions that make individuals, businesses, and society more resilient to extreme events. In 1987, AIR Worldwide founded the catastrophe modeling industry and today models the risk from natural catastrophes, terrorism, pandemics, casualty catastrophes, and cyber attacks, globally. Insurance, reinsurance, financial, corporate, and government clients rely on AIR’s advanced science, software, and consulting services for catastrophe risk management, insurance-linked securities, site-specific engineering analyses, and agricultural risk management. AIR Worldwide, is headquartered in Boston with additional offices in North America, Europe, and Asia. To learn more about AIR, please visit us at: www.air-worldwide.com. We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the fifth consecutive year. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk’s Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
Become a member of our Meteorology Team and join our growing Research and Modeling Department. As a lead of the mid-latitude/extratropical perils team, you will report to the Director of Atmospheric and Flood Perils and will be responsible for managing the development of efficient and statistically robust severe thunderstorm, extratropical cyclone and winter storm models, be the driver behind the implementation of innovative solutions in weather and climate simulations and support client facing teams in extreme weather phenomena issues.
About the day-to-day responsibilities of the role
- Work with and oversee a team of meteorologists to develop, code, and enhance stochastic and physically-based models for regions across the globe for the following extreme weather perils – tornados, hail, extreme winds, extratropical cyclones and winter storms.
- Coordinate with other meteorologists, hydrologists, hydraulic/structural engineers, and statisticians to translate the simulated extreme weather into a fully comprehensive view of financial risk from these perils across the globe.
- Encourage innovation and drive the implementation of cutting-edge science into the models developed by his/her team.
- Provide support to QA, software development and product teams in implementing the meteorology models into the software platforms developed at AIR and Verisk.
- Ensure the provision of a high-quality and timely technical support internally to client-facing staff and stakeholders and externally to other Verisk businesses, clients, government bodies and collaborators.
- Occasionally operate in real or near-real time to obtain the most accurate representation of extreme weather events on tight deadlines.
- Advise and present on the latest climate change research as it pertains to changes in extreme weather phenomena, both regionally and globally.
- Develop short-term, mid-term and long-term strategies for the team and adjust the strategies over time to align with company goals.
- Promote team development through coaching, training, and leadership development.
- Create and maintain an inspiring team environment with an open communication culture.
About you and how you can excel in this role
- Solid background, knowledge and experience in meteorology and climate science with emphasis on extreme weather and practical applications. Expertise in numerical weather and climate simulations will be considered an advantage.
- Solid experience and proven record in team development and project management.
- Knowledge of probability theory and (geo)statistics. Experience with statistical analysis, data science, data assimilation and stochastic simulation applications in meteorology would be considered a significant advantage.
- Strong programming skills gained through practical experience using high-level language and tools such as R, Python, C++, MATLAB, or FORTRAN. Experience with collaborative code development and system scripting and familiarity with version control will be considered a plus.
- Experience with gathering, integrating, and critically analyzing data from relevant sources of natural hazard information such as national and international agencies, insurance data, and private entities in both a real-time and historical context.
- Ability to communicate clearly and work closely with scientists, statisticians, engineers, technical writers, and software developers and across disciplinary boundaries
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, especially presenting to non-meteorologists and lay audiences.
- Highly motivated with the ability to achieve goals and meet deadlines while working on multiple tasks.
- Previous experience in the catastrophe risk modeling industry would be a plus.
The things you absolutely need to have:
- Advanced degree in meteorology, climate science or related field with associated experience related to extreme weather analysis and simulation. Ph. D. preferred, but strong M.S. applicants may also be considered.
- 7+ years of technical experience, 5+ years of project management and 3+ years of people management as a minimum
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.