Research Analyst, Latin America Downstream Oil
- Mexico City, CDMX, Mexico
- Verisk Business: Wood Mackenzie
Wood Mackenzie is the global leader in data, analysis and consulting across the energy, chemicals, metals, mining, power and renewables sectors.
Founded in 1973, our success has always been underpinned by the simple principle of providing trusted research and advice that makes a difference to our customers. Today we have over 2,000 customers ranging from the largest global energy companies and financial institutions to governments as well as smaller market specialists.
Our teams are located around the world. This enables us to stay closely connected with customers and the markets and sectors we cover. Collectively this allows us to offer a compelling combination of global commodity analysis with detailed local market knowledge.
We are committed to supporting our people to grow and thrive. We value different perspectives and aspire to create an inclusive environment that encourages diversity and fosters a sense of belonging. We are committed to creating a workplace that works for you and encourage everyone to get involved in our Wellness, Diversity and Inclusion, and Community Engagement initiatives. We actively support flexible working and are happy to consider alternative work patterns, taking into account your needs and the needs of the team or division that you are looking to join.
Hear what our team has to say about working with us:
We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the fifth consecutive year. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk’s Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
We are looking for a Research Analyst to join our Commodity Analytics Downstream Oils team in Mexico City. Our Downstream Oils research team is a highly respected group of analysts producing market-leading research on the entire oil supply chain from crude supply through refining and fuels marketing to end-use demand. Together we work with our clients delivering an excellent service every day as we support them in their planning and decision- making processes.
About you and how you can excel in this role
You are curious and passionate about downstream oil industry and you are developing an in-depth understanding of the sector. You have an analytical mindset and an eye for detail, which has been proven in your academic and work experience to date. You have worked in a trading outfit analyzing short-term market trends including vessel/cargo tracking. You are comfortable collecting and interpreting data, articulating your findings in a clear and insightful manner. You also have a flair for writing and communication.
Your long-term aspiration is to be an influential subject matter expert setting the industry agenda. You are looking for a role where you can build on your existing knowledge and learn from others in a collaborative, commercial and client-centric environment. You also enjoy sharing what you have learnt with others.
If you are looking to further build your network of clients and contacts in the industry, then this role will enable you to use your effective client engagement skills.
You are able to work independently and as part of a team, generating ideas you want to share. The way in which you work is productive and driven, striving to be best in class.
This role will focus on Latin America downstream oil markets, within our Oil & NGL Market Research group. The role holder will support the development and ongoing production of research content related to Latin America oil supply/demand and trade balances, price forecasts and valuation of Latin America refinery assets. Gathering data, creating/updating proprietary models and contributing to the development of the long- and short-term outlooks and other oil research deliverables will be core to the role.
The candidate should be keen to develop industry and client relationships, focus on supporting the commercialization of Latin America coverage, learn about the intricacies of Latin America refinery assets and markets and their impact on international markets, and understand how the region interacts with other commodity markets. A client-centric and commercial approach will be essential to deliver success in the role.
- Support development of Latin America refinery supply/demand balance update cycle, including long- and short-term outlooks
- Model Latin America refinery assets using in-house models to assess regional refinery competitiveness and the impact of new investments; contribute to annual forecasts for regional refinery competitiveness
- Contribute to content update process to maintain the publication schedule; communicate status to other teams for integrated content production cycles
- Develop models and visualizations, update model inputs, develop presentation materials and client solutions for Latin America downstream oil clients
- Work with data experts to revamp processes and to design and test models and outputs.
- Maintain and update model input assumptions; recommend changes to data or program structure; interface with data vendors internally and externally.
- Maintain supply, demand, price and infrastructure databases.
- Follow Latin America downstream oil market activity through analysis of reported data, face-to-face meetings with company contacts, and other sources of information.
- Work with team leadership and thought leaders to develop regional research deliverables, including insights, informs, and potentially other regular deliverables relevant for the market.
- Respond to internal and external inquiries regarding data and analysis focused on the Latin America downstream market.
- Understanding of the dynamics of commodity markets (i.e. price behaviour, how logistics costs impact prices, substitution and complementary products, marginal cost/revenue).
- Broad understanding of the downstream/petrochemical industries.
- Strong written and oral proficiency in Spanish and English.
- Initiative, curiosity, demonstrated interest in the subject matter area.
- Willing to attend events and form relationships with clients and other Wood Mackenzie teams.
- Communication and influence management skills.
- Programming skills in SQL, Python, R, etc. are a plus.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in a role that specifically relates to downstream oil/refining
- Prior experience in a deadline-driven environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong proficiency in written and oral Spanish and English.
- Experiencing developing/maintaining models built in Excel, Python, or other big data programming languages
- Bachelors degree in a related field, (economics, engineering, chemistry, etc.), Masters Preferred.
- Personal impact
- Issue identification, problem solving and analysis
- Building and maintaining relationships
- Efficiency focused
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.