Principal Analyst, Corporate Risk Analytics
- London, UK
- Verisk Business: Maplecroft
- Is this an Analytics Req?: No
Verisk Maplecroft’s data-driven approach to risk enables multinational organizations to understand how and where political, human rights and environmental risks impact their assets, investments, reputations and supply chains. We give our clients the tools to pinpoint and quantify their risk across 150+ issues for any location worldwide, and the expert analysis and advice they need to make better, risk-adjusted decisions that will improve the commercial performance, resilience and sustainability of their business. To learn more about please visit us at: www.maplecroft.com We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the fourth consecutive year. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk’s Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
Verisk Maplecroft’s Markets team delivers qualitative and quantitative research, applied data products, and advisory projects to the firm’s financial sector clients. This includes the delivery of markets-oriented research and data products and the curation of the company’s wider research through multiple formats including verbal briefings and investor calls; management of commercial strategy jointly with the sales team; and the development of distribution or product partnerships with third parties. The team partners with our wider data science, research, sales and consulting functions to maintain high levels of new business development and growth.
The firm is the leading provider of ESG, political risk and climate data and research on sovereigns and commodities, and is steadily growing its footprint in other asset classes including equities and corporate debt. The successful candidate will lead the company’s expanding research and analytics relevant to equities and corporate debt investments. This is a strongly ‘intrapreneurial’ role in a fast-growing area of the business, so the successful candidate should be able to hit the ground running across a diverse set of competencies; but then be ready to progressively prioritise, scale and delegate as their product revenues grow.
- Developing and iterating successive generations of corporate data-analytic products that solve the most important challenges of our current and future clients. This will happen via needs analysis, strategy, commercial positioning and business case development, exploratory testing and POC development; and rollout of products. The candidate will work with a broad set of technical, commercial and research colleagues to achieve this, but will be ultimately accountable for the success of such products
- Applying data outputs to regular short-form research deliverables, both directly as an author and indirectly via guidance of/collaboration with colleagues
- Initiation and authorship of genuinely innovative white papers to advance industry/stakeholder understanding of the materiality of ESG, climate and/or political factors
- Ad-hoc interaction with designated clients and prospects, in partnership with the commercial team, to support retention and new business development
- Subject to capacity, participation in advisory/consulting projects to support specific institutional investor clients with ESG incorporation, including at a strategic/policy level
- Representation of the firm at conferences and other events, and in key stakeholder groups / industry forums.
- Line management not initially a responsibility, but the candidate should be ready to take this on at a future point
- A robust data orientation, including a strong grasp of the fundamentals of probability, statistics, and financial analysis. Mastery of relevant aspects of Excel is a prerequisite, and the ability to use other statistical or data visualisation packages – e.g. R or Power BI – will be additionally welcome. Practical capabilities will count more than credentials in this regard.
- Very strong written and spoken communication skills, manifested in a track record of client interactions, and of writing and presenting research directly applied to ESG and climate challenges and including on the financial materiality of these factors. Applied advisory work tailored to solve the problems of specific clients or stakeholders will also be additionally valued.
- Significant industry expertise and knowledge of the ESG and climate data landscape gathered through experience in an institutional investment role as an ESG analyst or portfolio manager covering equities or corporate debt; or 8+ years in corporate-relevant ESG data analytics and research at a leading data provider/research firm
- A genuine interest in both ESG, climate and political factors at corporate, country and systemic levels; and the particular needs and challenges of sustainable finance.
- The sound project management and interpersonal capabilities needed to successfully take ownership of new product ideas and steer them through the development process by working with multiple functions across the business
- The management competencies needed to build and retain the team that will be necessary as the business scales
- The confidence required to lead and scale a developing business line and be its internal and external ambassador; and the humility and collegiality required to build strong relationships with, and continuously learn from, colleagues and clients.
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
- Verisk: People Advocate - Believes in the power and potential of those around them. Creates opportunity for development and engagement across teams.
- Verisk: Operator - Applies ownership mindset to every choice they make; acting as if Verisk were their own small business.
- Verisk: Innovator - Creates value by thinking of better products, services, and opportunities. Believes change is essential to survive and thrive.
- Verisk: Culture Creator - Creates and nourishes an environment that best serves and lives up to our responsibility to others. Believes in leaving everything we touch better than we found it.
- Potential: Drive
- Potential: Engage
- Potential: Change
- Potential: Applied Thinking