Radiative Transfer Scientist
- Lexington, MA, USA
- Verisk Business: AER
- Is this an Analytics Req?: No
Atmospheric and Environmental Research (AER), a Verisk business, has been helping businesses and governments better anticipate and manage climate and weather-related risks for more than 40 years. Large government agencies like NOAA, NASA and the Departments of Defense and Energy rely on AER’s scientists to help solve weather and climate related problems of vital national importance in energy, environment and national security. Large insurance, energy and investment firms count on AER to help them decrease weather-related losses and increase profitability by integrating state-of-the-art climate science and weather information into their planning and decision processes. To learn more about AER please visit us at: www.aer.com. We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce.
AER is looking for a Radiative Transfer Scientist specializing in radiative transfer (RT) modeling to perform fundamental research, support the development of AER’s RT models, and provide scientific support for AER’s large satellite projects in our Lexington, MA headquarters. Atmospheric radiative processes have a significant impact on the Earth's climate, and AER scientists are internationally recognized as the premier global authority on these processes and their effects. AER’s RT models are used by leading climate and weather organizations throughout the world. Our expertise spans everything from theory to operational applications, with emphasis on:
- The development of detailed spectral models incorporating the effects of atmospheric constituents, including molecules, clouds and aerosols, from the microwave to the ultraviolet
- Detailed spectral validation of these models against atmospheric data
- The development of radiatively consistent, computationally efficient radiative transfer models for implementation in operational remote sensing programs and global climate models
The ideal candidate will contribute as an individual scientist and as the principal investigator on projects developing the advanced RT and remote sensing techniques that will be needed by NOAA, NASA, and other organizations for future satellite missions. The job includes publishing high impact peer-reviewed papers, giving presentations at scientific conferences, writing proposals and reports, advancing RT science and models, and keeping up with relevant scientific, computing, and modeling advances.
About the Day to Day Responsibilities of the Role
- Develop innovative techniques or applications of RT models to answer scientific questions.
- Plan and carry out strategic development of AER RT models to keep up with the latest scientific advances in collaboration with our larger RT team.
- Support other AER groups in the application and use of AER RT models.
- Regularly publish scientific results in peer-reviewed journals and present results at scientific conferences.
- Lead small teams and moderately sized RT and retrieval projects.
- Maintain close relationships with key RT research centers and funding agencies (e.g., NOAA, NASA, DoD) and understand their strategic plans.
- Develop an externally funded research program focused on RT and/or remote sensing through research grant proposals and contracts with non-profit and industry clients.
About You and How You Can Excel in This Role
- 3-5 years direct experience in radiative transfer, satellite retrievals, or remote sensing. While recent experience outside of school is preferred, experience in graduate school will be evaluated if it was the major focus of your graduate thesis.
- Advanced degrees (masters and/or doctorate) preferred, but additional experience can substitute for degree.
- Works well independently and in a diverse team.
- Strong leadership and people skills.
- Able to handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Comfortable with public speaking and travel.
- Able to propose and lead moderately sized research and development projects.
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.