Senior Software Engineer
- Edinburgh, UK
- Verisk Business: Wood Mackenzie
- Department: Technology
- Is this an Analytics Req?: Yes
Wood Mackenzie is the global leader in data, analysis and consulting across the energy, chemicals, metals, mining, power and renewables sectors.
Founded in 1973, our success has always been underpinned by the simple principle of providing trusted research and advice that makes a difference to our customers. Today we have over 2,000 customers ranging from the largest global energy companies and financial institutions to governments as well as smaller market specialists.
Our teams are located around the world. This enables us to stay closely connected with customers and the markets and sectors we cover. Collectively this allows us to offer a compelling combination of global commodity analysis with detailed local market knowledge.
We are committed to supporting our people to grow and thrive. We value different perspectives and aspire to create an inclusive environment that encourages diversity and fosters a sense of belonging. We are committed to creating a workplace that works for you and encourage everyone to get involved in our Wellness, Diversity and Inclusion, and Community Engagement initiatives. We actively support flexible working and are happy to consider alternative work patterns, taking into account your needs and the needs of the team or division that you are looking to join.
Hear what our team has to say about working with us:
We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce.
Wood Mackenzie are an industry-leading data analytics company that provides analysis and insight on the world’s natural resources with offices all around the globe. The team are working on a next generation, data analysis & visualization platform utilized by our customer to drive billion-dollar decisions.
Your role will be to design and build a metadata cataloguing solution to record, classify and manage all information stored in the Wood Mackenzie data lake. You’ll be an enthusiastic learner, and will always be on the lookout for ways to use what you learn to improve the systems that we build and support.
About you and how you can excel in this role
The person that fills this role must be a self-starter, energized by a challenge, passionate about bringing great products to market and love the thrill of creating a new standard for what’s possible.
About the role
You will have the opportunity to drive technical direction, architecture design and implementation of a new Data Cataloguing and Metadata Management component of our integrated data platform, which has been designed and built upon AWS services including S3, ECS, Glue, Sagemaker and Lambda, following best practice Software Engineering processes.
· Build a metadata cataloguing solution to record, classify and manage all information stored in the Wood Mackenzie data lake
· Analyse and interpret requirements from project stakeholders, providing feedback as necessary
· Research, document and propose optimal technology choices to fit the business requirements
· Assist in developing an architecture that addresses functional and non-functional requirements
· Work with other data platform teams to build out a solution applicable to the entire platform
· Design, implement and validate all components of the solution, ensuring adherence to existing technical and operational standards
· Define short-term and longer term strategies for building out the system, including deployment and assessment of production readiness
· Assist in building strategy for go-live of new system, including adapting existing systems and migration of existing data
· Proven experience of working with both relational and non-relational technologies, e.g. Oracle/SQL Server/Postgres/AWS DynamoDB/MongoDB etc.
· Good knowledge of and experience with big data frameworks such as Apache Hive, Spark, Hadoop, AWS EMR etc.
· Excellent understanding of cloud-first architectures (AWS/Azure/GCP)
· Prior experience of data migration projects
· Highly proficient in more than one modern language, e.g. Java/C#/NodeJS/Python
· Experience of automated continuous deployment pipelines within a cloud environment
· Proven experience of agile working practices including continuous delivery
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.