Market Associate, Power Demand
- Boston, MA, USA
- Verisk Business: Wood Mackenzie
- Department: Consulting
- Is this an Analytics Req?: No
Genscape operates the world’s largest private network of in-field monitors and distributes industry-leading alternative data, delivering unsurpassed market intelligence across the commodity and energy spectrum including power, oil, natural gas, natural gas liquids, agriculture, biofuels, and maritime freight.
To learn more about Genscape, A Wood Mackenzie Business, please visit us at: https://www.genscape.com/genscape-open-positions
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the fourth consecutive year. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk’s Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
We are looking for a full-time Market Associate, Power Demand to join Wood Mackenzie's North American Power (NAP) team in Boston, MA. The NAP team's research spans power market fundamentals and price forecasting to asset valuation and strategy that comprises some of the most highly utilized data, reports, and insights across Wood Mackenzie. Our broad industry knowledge and deep understanding of the North American power market is unparalleled and helps our clients' position for success during the energy transition.
The Market Associate will have a strong background in analytics and growing expertise within the power industry.
About you and how you can excel in this role
Wood Mackenzie's North American Power team is comprised of industry experts that are detail-oriented, intellectually curious, commercially-savvy, and comfortable presenting to clients.
Your interest in fundamental power market research proves you hold these characteristics and are comfortable taking complex, disparate ideas and distilling them into simple, actionable analytics.
About the role
The Power Demand Associate will serve as the driving force in delivering industry-leading short-term wind and demand forecasts based on a blend of proprietary and public data.
Market Analyst Core Responsibilities:
• Operate models and support tools daily that include spatial and data visualization applications to identify and solve problems in the power industry-specific to an ISO market;
• Construct hourly weather forecasts for numerous cities throughout the US for the day-of out to fifteen days.
• Present the team's ISO desk, lead, managers, and other decision-makers with research projects/presentations, memos, or reports on market-relevant topics as requested and advise on the effects of various courses of action relevant to specific problems.
• Improve current processes by automating critical tasks using macros (visual basic/Python);
• Identify changes in weather models and associated forecasts that influence power prices and articulate these changes to Genscape analysts and clients.
• Modify output from the proprietary neural network and regression electricity demand forecasting models for various power regions.
• Contribute to the advancement of proprietary demand modeling algorithms and techniques from an intellectual and technical standpoint.
• Issue daily weather reports explaining the risk on electricity demand for sub-regions within the US Power Pools.
• Improve demand forecasting support tools and strive to increase process efficiency.
Our Ideal Candidate:
• Has a Bachelor's degree in Meteorology or Atmospheric Science.
• Experience in Operational Meteorology preferred but not required.
• Understands synoptic and mesoscale meteorology.
• Interest in electricity markets and renewables a plus.
• Very strong Excel skills are required. Familiarity with Pivot Tables, VLOOKUP, etc.
• Knowledge of North American geography required.
• Must be extremely detail-oriented and be able to work under tight deadlines.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Must be a team player. Open to assist teammates as needed, be transparent and accountable.
• Be able to handle pressure, make tough calls, and take bold stances and risks when warranted
• Quick learner and adaptable to process changes.
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.