Software (Python) Engineer
- Edinburgh, UK
- Verisk Business: Wood Mackenzie
- Department: Technology
- Is this an Analytics Req?: No
Wood Mackenzie is the global leader in data, analysis and consulting across the energy, chemicals, metals, mining, power and renewables sectors.
Founded in 1973, our success has always been underpinned by the simple principle of providing trusted research and advice that makes a difference to our customers. Today we have over 2,000 customers ranging from the largest global energy companies and financial institutions to governments as well as smaller market specialists.
Our teams are located around the world. This enables us to stay closely connected with customers and the markets and sectors we cover. Collectively this allows us to offer a compelling combination of global commodity analysis with detailed local market knowledge.
We are committed to supporting our people to grow and thrive. We value different perspectives and aspire to create an inclusive environment that encourages diversity and fosters a sense of belonging. We are committed to creating a workplace that works for you and encourage everyone to get involved in our Wellness, Diversity and Inclusion, and Community Engagement initiatives. We actively support flexible working and are happy to consider alternative work patterns, taking into account your needs and the needs of the team or division that you are looking to join.
Hear what our team has to say about working with us:
We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce.
The role is responsible for the development of new pipelines of data into Wood Mackenzie, and the support and enhancement of existing applications and processes which ingest, process and publish our data.
The successful applicant will have informed opinions on technologies, frameworks and approaches to delivery, and are able to articulate ideas effectively and strive to constantly improve deliverables.
About the Day to Day Responsibilities of the Role
The candidate must be proficient using Python within an AWS environment, and be knowledgeable of the architecture and tools available within AWS. A formal certification of AWS would be beneficial.
Secondly, the candidate must be able to support and further develop existing applications which ingest, process and publish our data. These have been developed over many years, using a multitude of technologies. The successful candidate will have a history of database development, design and support, and be proficient with a large database systems such as Oracle, SQL Server or PostgreSQL. A working knowledge of deployment tools such as Jenkins or TeamCity would be useful.
- Develop new data pipelines using Python within an existing AWS platform
- Support, maintain and improve existing applications that are used both internally and externally for making decisions
- Work within a scrum team on one or more projects within the Wood Mackenzie Technology portfolio, ensuring adherence to best practice
- Review and adopt industry leading data tools/frameworks that make processing and analysis of data easier
- Perform and participate in code reviews
- Must be adaptable and able to investigate and resolve problems in unfamiliar applications and with unfamiliar technologies
- Experience of working as part of high performing engineering team that processes data at scale.
- Strong organization and planning skills and the ability to manage own workload and that of others within tight timescales
- Commitment to excellence and meeting high quality standards expected by our clients
- Experience in working in different delivery methodologies and an understanding of their benefits/constraints
- Enthusiasm for engineering and emerging technologies
- Manage your own time, and work well both independently and as part of a team
- Collaborate with engineers to resolve any technical issues blocking progress and promote a culture of shared code ownership
- Work in collaboration with team members to perform scoping, estimation and technology feasibility tasks for the intended solution
- Address technical queries and elicit, prioritise, and negotiate changes to requirements and defects
- Work in collaboration with test engineers to triage, manage and resolve issues and defects
- Work directly with stakeholders of all levels across Wood Mackenzie providing a service to resolve their problems or enhance their applications.
- The ability to form professional relationships with stakeholders in numerous geographical locations within different time zones.
- It is also key to work with those in the direct team
- Act as, and be seen as, a respected and trusted adviser
- Highly regarded technical expert within engineering teams
- Identify emerging technologies or applications and the opportunities to integrate them into our existing operations and activities
- Build trust and confidence, and develop cross-departmental relationships
- Encourage a collective code ownership and learning culture
- Have an informed opinion on how technology can improve decision making through automated data processes
- Actively lead the way in technology best practices and standards
About You and How You Can Excel in This Role
The person that fills this role must be a self-starter with a strong work ethic, energized by a challenge, passionate about bringing great products to market and love the thrill of creating a new standard for what’s possible.
- Proven experience of using Python with the AWS environment
- Proven experience of developing and supporting large RDBMS applications (Oracle, SQL Server, PostgreSQL)
- Willing to learn new skills as Wood Mackenzie’s technical landscape is transformed
- Strong knowledge of security and performance concerns
- Strong understanding of the principles of test-driven development and agile methodologies
- Excellent technical foundation gained in an engineering role with proven experience in systems development at scale
- Hands on expertise with agile methodologies
- Comfortable with managing technical debt and working with legacy codebases
- Experience with leading, coaching and mentoring individuals and teams
- Hands on experience with application optimisation, scaling and security
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.