Power Modelling Managing Consultant
- Houston, TX, USA
- Verisk Business: Wood Mackenzie
- Is this an Analytics Req?: No
Wood Mackenzie is the global leader in data, analysis and consulting across the energy, chemicals, metals, mining, power and renewables sectors.
Founded in 1973, our success has always been underpinned by the simple principle of providing trusted research and advice that makes a difference to our customers. Today we have over 2,000 customers ranging from the largest global energy companies and financial institutions to governments as well as smaller market specialists.
Our teams are located around the world. This enables us to stay closely connected with customers and the markets and sectors we cover. Collectively this allows us to offer a compelling combination of global commodity analysis with detailed local market knowledge.
We are committed to supporting our people to grow and thrive. We value different perspectives and aspire to create an inclusive environment that encourages diversity and fosters a sense of belonging. We are committed to creating a workplace that works for you and encourage everyone to get involved in our Wellness, Diversity and Inclusion, and Community Engagement initiatives. We actively support flexible working and are happy to consider alternative work patterns, taking into account your needs and the needs of the team or division that you are looking to join.
Hear what our team has to say about working with us:
We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the fourth consecutive year. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk’s Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
As a key member of our Americas Power and Renewables Consulting Team, you will be focused on developing the zonal and nodal power price forecasting models to support various types of analysis, such as, regional energy prices, capacity prices, REC prices, basis, congestion, curtailment analysis, to name a few. The candidate will be expected to be part of a team and will have the support of senior modelling experts within Wood Mackenzie and will serve as the subject matter expert on client engagements in this area. The candidate should be technically competent to perform the various duties.
The position requires strategic thinking, analytical and commercial capabilities related to power and renewables markets and the ability to transform fundamental research into salient, actionable analysis/advice. Successful candidates will be creative thinkers, analytically astute, and solutions oriented. In addition to strong interpersonal qualities, candidates are expected to have superior communication skills (written and verbal) in both formal and non-formal settings. Furthermore, the successful candidate is required to proactively develop and manage the relationships which exist between Wood Mackenzie and its key clients.
The primary focus of the role is to build and support the zonal and nodal modelling / fundamental power price forecasting capabilities for the various power markets in North America. The successful candidate can expect some degree of domestic travel.
As a Power Market Modelling Consultant at Wood Mackenzie you will work with both the consulting and research teams within Wood Mackenzie and your main responsibilities in the various areas will include the following:
- Define and communicate course of action to accomplish client goals for the assignment whether within a team or independently executed project
- Organise proper internal and external resources for projects
- Ensure mutual understanding of the agreed to scope of work prior to project execution and client presentation
- Deliver to our clients agreed-upon work product on time and with high quality
- Successfully manage daily client interface on projects
- Anticipate potential issues in execution and alleviate roadblocks before they impact project delivery and affect project timeline
- Keep abreast of developments across the power & renewables industry
- Apply analytical approach to assignment
- Generate strategic options and concepts to ensure client success
- Write, edit and review reports (independently and on behalf of others when required)
- Follow consulting procedures and methodologies
- Attention to detail
- Keep track of modelling enhancements pertaining to industry requirements
- Building and maintaining the internal network (across consulting, research and sales and account management) to deliver the best possible outcome for both Wood Mackenzie and its clients
- Generating innovative ideas and approaches to industry issues, both within particular assignments and to the consulting practice as a whole
- Be the in-house subject matter expert for locational marginal price analysis and electric transmission
- Ability to multi-task multiple consulting projects running parallel
- Ability to liaison between various sectors and groups within Woodmac for efficient project execution
- Ability to plan own work ensuring short and medium-term commitments are met
- Prioritise own work ensuring project objectives and targets are met
- Oversee team progress during projects to assure professional, on-time completion and delivery of projects
- At least 5+ years of work experience in zonal modelling in the power sector with hands on experience in model development using software tools, such as, Aurora xmp, and PROMOD IV
- Ability to explain complex technical analysis in a simplified matter to a customer is an important aspect
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline such as engineering, computer science, or economics; master's or PhD preferred
- Understanding of locational marginal price formation and the various elements that contribute to the price formation is important
- Knowledge of transmission issues pertaining to the various power markets is valuable
- A blend of consulting and industry experience is preferred
- Strong knowledge of North American power markets including regional differences
- Experience in the development, valuation, and/or due diligence of power generation assets
- Proven experience managing and working in project teams, whether in a consulting, operating or service company
- Experience in providing inputs for developing consulting scopes of work and associated work-plans
- Strong presentation and writing skills
- Relevant experience in programming and data management: working knowledge of Python and SQL is a major plus. Ability to create and modify excel models using VBA
- ETL skills such as data extraction, data manipulation, data munging and data warehousing is desired
- Ability to connect data bases to modelling tools and Spotfire using SQL and VBA
- Ability to effectively use Microsoft Office products – Word, Excel, Power Point, Access
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- English fluency is required.
- Travel required up to 5% - 10% domestic
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.