Sr. Statistical Researcher
- Boston, MA, USA
- Verisk Business: AIR Worldwide
- Department: Research
AIR Worldwide (AIR), a Verisk business, provides risk modeling solutions that make individuals, businesses, and society more resilient to extreme events. In 1987, AIR Worldwide founded the catastrophe modeling industry and today models the risk from natural catastrophes, terrorism, pandemics, casualty catastrophes, and cyber attacks, globally. Insurance, reinsurance, financial, corporate, and government clients rely on AIR’s advanced science, software, and consulting services for catastrophe risk management, insurance-linked securities, site-specific engineering analyses, and agricultural risk management. AIR Worldwide, is headquartered in Boston with additional offices in North America, Europe, and Asia. To learn more about AIR, please visit us at: www.air-worldwide.com. We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
With a history of impressive growth, an innovative culture, and offering industry-leading solutions, Verisk Analytics is an amazing place to work and make a difference. In 2018, Forbes magazine named Verisk to its World’s Best Employers list and, in 2017, to its World’s Most Innovative Companies list for the third consecutive year. We also earned the Great Place to Work® Certification for the third consecutive year in recognition of our outstanding workplace culture.
Verisk is a leading data analytics provider serving customers in insurance, energy and specialized markets, and financial services. Using advanced technologies to collect and analyze billions of records, Verisk draws on unique data assets and deep domain expertise to provide first-to-market innovations integrated into customer workflows. We’ve been delivering predictive analytics and decision support solutions to our customers for nearly 50 years, helping them protect people, property, and financial assets. At Verisk, you’ll be part of an organization that’s committed to serving the long-term interests of our stakeholders, including the communities where we operate.
At Verisk, you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create a positive and lasting impact on the business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. Our culture of innovation means your ideas on how to improve our business will be heard. As key contributors to our success, our team members enjoy working in a business-casual, collaborative environment that offers state-of-the-art resources, advanced technologies, and an excellent benefits package.
As part of the Financial and Uncertainty Modeling Group, you will closely work with a team of statisticians, mathematicians, analysts and geoscientists in AIR’s growing Research and Modeling Department to provide the best possible estimate of insurance losses for a wide variety of catastrophic events.
Responsibilities will vary by project but may include:
• Fitting probability distributions to insurance claims data from catastrophic events such as hurricanes, severe thunderstorms, and earthquakes
• Developing algorithms for Monte-Carlo risk aggregation
• Modeling uncertainty and correlation structure in catastrophe losses using statistical techniques and simulations
• Testing accuracy of new methodologies by writing code in R or C++.
• Consulting with the software team during their implementation of proposed methods
• Assisting the client services team in explaining methodology and answering client questions
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of probability, statistics, and applied mathematics
- Background in spatial statistics or insurance loss distributions highly desired
- Basic programming knowledge required; familiarity with R or similar statistical language is preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with insurance policy conditions/actuarial science is a plus
- Ability to work independently or with a team
- Experience with any of the following would be a plus: working with insurance claim data; actuarial science; copula trees; machine learning; geostatistics; geophysics
- Ph.D in quantitative field such as math, statistics, physics or computer science and 2-5 years of experience in corporate research role, insurance industry experience is a plus
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.