Pandemic & Longevity Modeler
- Boston, MA, USA
- Verisk Business: AIR Worldwide
- Department: Risk Management
AIR Worldwide (AIR), a Verisk business, provides risk modeling solutions that make individuals, businesses, and society more resilient to extreme events. In 1987, AIR Worldwide founded the catastrophe modeling industry and today models the risk from natural catastrophes, terrorism, pandemics, casualty catastrophes, and cyber attacks, globally. Insurance, reinsurance, financial, corporate, and government clients rely on AIR’s advanced science, software, and consulting services for catastrophe risk management, insurance-linked securities, site-specific engineering analyses, and agricultural risk management. AIR Worldwide, is headquartered in Boston with additional offices in North America, Europe, and Asia. To learn more about AIR, please visit us at: www.air-worldwide.com. We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the fourth consecutive year. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce.
About the Day to Day Responsibilities of the Role:
• Work in a team responsible for developing cutting edge mathematical models to estimate the transmission dynamics of infectious diseases and mortality projection models, statistical, timeseries, and epidemiological techniques
• Gather relevant mortality and disease outbreak data and apply state of the art data science techniques
• Develop code and run stochastic modeling simulations; perform validation and verification of model output, based on the real data
• Collaborate with members of AIR’s marketing, sales, consulting, and product management teams to get solutions into the market
• Participate in client studies and consulting projects; respond to client questions; ensure that models adhere to regulatory standards
• Knowledge of health sciences, epidemiology, and biology
• Previous experience in biostatistics and biomedical data
• Strong background in data analysis, probability, and statistics (preferably including stochastic processes, time series analysis, regression modeling, Monte Carlo methods, etc.)
• Well-rounded knowledge of mathematical models related to the life and health
• Knowledge of machine learning algorithms and their applications in life and health
• Solid scientific programming skills, preferably including experience with C++, Python, R, and SQL
• Strong communication and presentation skills
• Critical thinking
• M.S. in a quantitative field (Ph.D. preferred)
• 2+ years of experience in mathematical modeling
• Background in health sciences, epidemiology, and biology
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.