- Boston, MA, USA
- Verisk Business: Verisk Analytics
- Department: Information Technology
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce.
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced Data Architect to join the Verisk CTO’s Cloud Center of Excellence team supporting our Insurance vertical to drive our migration of Microsoft based solutions to Amazon Web Services (AWS). The ideal candidate will have broad data architecture experience with traditional relational databases (MS SQL) along with demonstrated experience in migrating complex data platforms solutions to AWS. The Data Architect will assess existing database platforms and data, design future state, and execute the migration of databases to AWS.
The role requires solid experience in cloud computing environments, hands on technical skills, passion and appetite to master new technologies, and excellent communication skills.
About the Day to Day Responsibilities of the Role
- Analyze, architect, and execute the migration of large-scale Microsoft SQL Server databases to cloud native AWS RDS solutions including RedShift, PostgreSQL, Aurora, S3 data lake, etc.
- Analyze and rationalize existing data and databases into an optimized data architecture
- Evolve and strategically challenge the existing data environment and architecture
- Own the technical data strategy and present to leadership the solutions to complex data problems
- Optimize database architectures to maximize performance and minimize costs while implementing cost control mechanisms
- Design solution-independent foundational database architectures that map operational requirements to cloud services
- Continuously manage, monitor, and update database architectures as business needs evolve and additional cloud services become available
- Work collaboratively, hands-on, with product teams in the use of AWS data services
About You and How You Can Excel in This Role
- Minimum of 10 years of relational database (MS SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc.) and data architecture experience
- Minimum of 5 years of database management and software development/coding experience
- Proficient in database architecture, data warehousing, data modeling and data mining
- Experience designing cloud-native data lakes and distributed data platforms is required
- Able to construct and maintain large scale database architectures with experience improving data reliability and quality
- AWS Certified Architect and/or Developer; Associate considered, Professional preferred
- Experience architecting database cloud infrastructures on AWS for small, medium scale and enterprise level applications
- Experience coding in higher level programming language desirable: .NET C#, C++, Java, Go, or Python
- Familiarity and experience with statistical modeling and regression analysis is a plus but not required
- Creative and innovative approach to problem solving and passion for continuous improvement
- Experience mentoring and coaching colleagues
- Comfortable working in cross functional and multidisciplinary teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with keen attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience in insurance services and an understanding of the related regulatory requirements is a plus but not required
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.