Commodity Analyst - Power Market
- Boston, MA, USA
- Verisk Business: Verisk Analytics
- Department: Research
Genscape operates the world’s largest private network of in-field monitors and distributes industry-leading alternative data, delivering unsurpassed market intelligence across the commodity and energy spectrum including power, oil, natural gas, natural gas liquids, agriculture, biofuels, and maritime freight.
To learn more about Genscape, A Wood Mackenzie Business, please visit us at: www.genscape.com/genscape-open-positions. We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At Verisk, you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create a positive and lasting impact on the business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. Our culture of innovation means your ideas on how to improve our business will be heard. As key contributors to our success, our team members enjoy working in a business-casual, collaborative environment that offers state-of-the-art resources, advanced technologies, and an excellent benefits package
Genscape is seeking a talented and driven analyst with a strong interest in the power markets looking to develop their career in the energy commodity space. This role is part of a Commodity Analyst program geared towards developing your overall professional and personal growth as well as teaching you about the intricacies of the power markets.
In Genscape’s Commodity Analyst Program, entry-level analysts gain the skills they need to further their career, working with a dynamic team of talented industry professionals. Through a structured, three year program, analysts will learn to work with financial and statistical models, navigate large data sets, develop analytical tools, learn different types of tradable products, and communicate directly with traders and analysts from the largest wholesale and retail power companies.
Come join our growing team!
A day in the life of a Power Market Analyst will include the following:
- Research information relating to the power industry.
- Gain/have a strong fundamental understanding of the power markets.
- Operate models and support tools daily that include spatial, data visualization, and power flow applications.
- Run regional support workbooks daily and continuously improve the level of granularity provided to the team and customer.
- Manipulate large datasets and determine correlations and relationships between potential market drivers, prices, and events.
- Perform data acquisition, data reporting, and chart/graph creation, primarily using Excel.
- Improve current processes by automating critical tasks using macros (visual basic).
- Validate key assumptions using real-time market data and track the team’s performance; research conflicting theories and quantitatively present results. Use metrics to improve performance and understand bias.
- Present the desk with research projects/presentations on market relevant topics as requested.
- Provide general support for customers (analysts and traders) in their daily process via phone, IM, and email.
YEAR 1: Understanding Power Market Fundamentals
- Learn Genscape’s product verticals and business priorities while focusing on generation, demand, transmission and congestion data.
YEAR 2: Product Enhancements and Improvements
- Build relationships with clients and begin to specialize, enhancing products and reports through individual contribution.
YEAR 3: Subject Matter Expert
- Put your learning to work mentoring team members, creating content, and developing strong customer relationships.
This role and program might be for you if
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Finance, Engineering, or related
- You have 1-2 years experience in the energy / commodity markets; preferred but not required
- You are open to working earlier, trading floor hours, and having your afternoons more free
- You are a highly quantitative individual with the ability to do thorough analysis on the fly
- You have strong Excel skills
- Experience with analytical/statistical programming languages a plus
- You have a passion for the energy and commodity industry
- You have strong English and communication skills. This is a must when speaking and engaging with clients both verbally and written
- You have an ability to multi-task in a time-sensitive, high-pressure environment
- You are a unique problem solver with a ‘why not’ attitude
Once you land this position, you’ll get to enjoy:
- A fun, fast paced, entrepreneurial environment where employees are viewed as the company’s greatest asset and critical to our success
- Being part of a team of extremely talented analysts, engineers, technologists and more
- A company that offers a strong focus on work life balance and encouragement to make a big impact where you work
- Excellent benefits and numerous perks!
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.