Director, Information Development
- Boston, MA, USA
- Verisk Business: AIR Worldwide
- Department: Software Development
AIR Worldwide (AIR), a Verisk business, provides risk modeling solutions that make individuals, businesses, and society more resilient to extreme events. In 1987, AIR Worldwide founded the catastrophe modeling industry and today models the risk from natural catastrophes, terrorism, pandemics, casualty catastrophes, and cyber attacks, globally. Insurance, reinsurance, financial, corporate, and government clients rely on AIR’s advanced science, software, and consulting services for catastrophe risk management, insurance-linked securities, site-specific engineering analyses, and agricultural risk management. AIR Worldwide, is headquartered in Boston with additional offices in North America, Europe, and Asia. To learn more about AIR, please visit us at: www.air-worldwide.com. We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
With a history of impressive growth, an innovative culture, and offering industry-leading solutions, Verisk Analytics is an amazing place to work and make a difference. In 2018, Forbes magazine named Verisk to its World’s Best Employers list and, in 2017, to its World’s Most Innovative Companies list for the third consecutive year. We also earned the Great Place to Work® Certification for the third consecutive year in recognition of our outstanding workplace culture.
Verisk is a leading data analytics provider serving customers in insurance, energy and specialized markets, and financial services. Using advanced technologies to collect and analyze billions of records, Verisk draws on unique data assets and deep domain expertise to provide first-to-market innovations integrated into customer workflows. We’ve been delivering predictive analytics and decision support solutions to our customers for nearly 50 years, helping them protect people, property, and financial assets. At Verisk, you’ll be part of an organization that’s committed to serving the long-term interests of our stakeholders, including the communities where we operate.
At Verisk, you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create a positive and lasting impact on the business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. Our culture of innovation means your ideas on how to improve our business will be heard. As key contributors to our success, our team members enjoy working in a business-casual, collaborative environment that offers state-of-the-art resources, advanced technologies, and an excellent benefits package.
Do you have a passion for developing information in technical writing & user experience? Do you want to help the most advanced insurance and reinsurance companies get most value from our products and models? If so, AIR has an outstanding opportunity for you!
The Director of Information Development Group will define and lead the development of software and model documentation & user experience groups to serve the diverse needs of our clients. The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience in leading teams writing technical documents using the DITA framework and managing teams focused on user experience. Technical documentation writing teams include a group of technical writers that develop, plan, and deliver white papers, online help, reference manuals and model documentation. The user experience team transforms customer insights into streamlined innovative design solutions. They develop wireframes/prototypes, conduct usability studies, and validate the designs before the developing a product.
You should have the ability to define a vision and make it a reality. You will manage highly effective teams delivering product and model documentation and prototypes/wireframes in lockstep with product releases. You will inspire and lead teams of UX Designers and Technical Writers through the complete product discovery to delivery life cycle. You will champion the value of user experience and user assistance and continuously communicate with stakeholders across the business regarding key deliverables and the resulting positive customer outcomes. You will collaborate with teams across the globe as part of the job.
Day to Day Responsibilities of the Role
· Drive strategy for technical documentation and product designs with a focus on customer experience.
· Deliver content including driving project plans and team leads to deliver best-in-class artifacts in accordance with product release schedules.
· Manage Team Leads/Managers, coaching and mentoring the managers on various aspects of their jobs, including prioritization, constructive feedback, resource planning, data driven decisions, etc.
· Champion a high level of creativity and innovation as well as inspire a cross disciplinary team with loyalty, commitment, and quality of delivery
· Build strong relationships working collaboratively with Product and Marketing teams across the organization to ensure that all content developed is in sync with product best practices, branding guidelines, use case models, and presentation techniques.
· Collaborate and drive best practices across all technical writing teams to share knowledge and avoid duplicating efforts. In some cases, collaborate across Verisk organization.
· Review content on a regular basis and provide feedback on progress, adherence to standards, and overall completeness with respect to release schedules.
· Guide teams toward ongoing improvements by using client feedback, data, metrics, usability study findings and analytics. Be a passionate advocate for the user. Deliver data driven solutions to incorporate customer insights into the design process. Work closely with product management and development teams to shape feature development and influence future roadmap direction based on research and customer insights.
· Coordinate creating consistent monthly status dashboards for all teams for presentation to stakeholders and senior leadership.
· Communicate ideas and concepts clearly and concisely, while also being open to receiving feedback and direction as needed. Help clearly explain the decision-making process.
· 10+ years of experience working with technical content within software development organizations, specifically the enterprise software space, prior experience managing a documentation team
· 8+ years of experience in creating or using modular design; visual designs; prior experience managing user experience team; experience with data driven decisions including data captured from usability studies
· Experience with enterprise content planning, development, and delivery with complex products and fast-paced release cycles
· Experience leading people and teams to achieve goals under strict deadlines
· Excellent interpersonal skills and record of building relationships with stakeholders to support successful content outcomes, including research, product management, development, quality assurance, support, and marketing
· Engage with customers to learn how we can improve their documentation and product experience
· Knowledge of Agile development methodologies such as SCRUM, understanding of scaled agile development process a plus
· Skilled in technical writing methodologies such as topic based writing, single sourcing
· Experience with oXygen Author/Editor (or analogous DITA/XML editor), TFS, Axure are a plus
· BS or MS Degree in Technical Writing, Human Factors, Design or related field
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.