Principal Data Scientist – Analytics Lab
- Houston, TX, USA
- Verisk Business: Wood Mackenzie
- Department: Data Science
For the past 40 years, Wood Mackenzie has established its reputation as a trusted source of intelligence, enriching lives by empowering clients with unique insight on the world’s natural resources.
Now, as part of the Verisk family, that legacy is even stronger. Aligning with the world’s leading data analytics company extends our ability to support clients with our unrivalled analysis and advice.
Together, we inspire and innovate the markets we serve – providing invaluable intelligence that informs the strategy that will ultimately shape the future direction of our global natural resources.
We are seeking a Principal Data Scientist for our Analytics Lab group to generate innovative data analytic solutions that will solve complex business problems in collaboration with our clients. They will have experience in applying data mining techniques, performing statistical interpretation and building algorithmic models utilising expansive datasets. They should have strong communication and interpersonal skills and will be able to present their findings to colleagues from all areas of the business and to clients.
The role requires a strong data-focussed personality, with a keen eye for detail. They should have experience of working in a data environment with multiple streams of data. We are looking for someone who has an innovative approach to working with data and is willing to learn technologies that create new data solutions.
The successful candidate will embrace advanced techniques such as machine learning and artificial intelligence. They will be responsible for applying data science to our client’s business problems and communicating the new insights developed through their work. Achieving results will hinge on an ability to work collaboratively with colleagues across organizations and stakeholder groups, developing creative solutions to new problems, and leveraging the expertise and talents of Wood Mackenzie and the wider Verisk company group.
- Developing analytical solutions using a variety of methodologies including predictive modelling, text mining, forecasting, network analytics and image processing
- Supporting data preparation activities to ensure data science is conducted on “analytics ready” quality datasets
- Performing model validation, hypothesis testing, and measuring model performance
- Promote a culture of continual growth, ensure we adapt with technical innovations to deliver new insights and creative solutions. Coach junior colleagues in these methods
- Report findings and interpretation of results through data visualisation or presentation in an effective manor
- Create prototype tools to demonstrate findings – building into scalable solutions where appropriate.
- Hold strategic relationships with different business stakeholders across Research, Product, Data, and Technology. Relate actions to strategic and commercial goals.
Knowledge & Experience
- Strong analytical skills including algorithm application with different mathematical approaches such as cluster and principal component analysis, linear and logistic regression, supervised learning algorithms, and similar statistical techniques
- Expert programming skills, particularly in Python (R a plus)
- Has delivered projects using Machine Learning libraries, such as TensorFlow, AML, scikit-learn, MLlib, caret
- Strong data modelling skills and experience of working with both structured and unstructured data
- Advanced skills in a data visualisation solution (such as Spotfire, PowerBI, GGplot, or Plotly)
- Adept at cloud-based deployments of data processes and data science
- Excellent communication skills, including mentoring junior team members and discussing designs at abstract and more tangible implementation levels
- Strong organization and planning skills and the ability to manage own workload and that of others within sometimes tight timescales
- The ability to work as part of a team involving multiple locations and time zones
- Commitment to excellence and meeting high quality standards expected by our clients
- Attention to detail, high standard of excellence, passionate about the value-add from high quality data science
- Ability to develop content and explain data science work to business stakeholders
What you’ll love about Wood Mackenzie
For the past 45 years, we have established our reputation as a trusted source of knowledge and forward- looking insight for the world’s most innovative organisations.
Our teams are located around the world and deliver research and consulting projects based on our assessment and valuation of thousands of individual assets, companies and economic indicators such as market supply, demand and price trends. As a result, we can count the world’s key energy institutions and governments among our most loyal clients.
We are committed to supporting our people to grow and thrive. We value different perspectives and aspire to create an inclusive environment that encourages diversity and fosters a sense of belonging. We value everyone’s contribution and support them to reach their full potential while sustaining an organisational culture of health and well-being. There are opportunities to get involved in our Wellness, Diversity and Inclusion, and Community Engagement initiatives. We actively support flexible working and are happy to consider alternative work patterns, taking into account your needs and the needs of the team or division that you are looking to join.
Hear what our team has to say about working with us:
We are part of a company that has been named as a Best Employer by Forbes Magazine and on the Forbes Most Innovative Companies list three years running. Verisk is one of only 15 out of 500 companies to appear on both lists. We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
What you’ll love about Verisk
Verisk Analytics has an amazing story to tell. In 2017, Forbes magazine named Verisk to its World’s Most Innovative Companies list for the third consecutive year and to its America’s Best Mid-Size Employers list. We also earned the Great Place to Work® Certification for the second consecutive year in recognition of our outstanding workplace culture.
Verisk is a leading data analytics provider serving customers in insurance, natural resources, and financial services. We’ve been delivering data, analytics, and decision support services to our customers for more than 45 years, helping them protect people, property, and financial assets. At Verisk, you’ll be part of an organization that’s committed to serving the long-term interests of our stakeholders, including the communities where we operate.
At Verisk, you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create a positive and lasting impact on the business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. Our culture of innovation means your ideas on how to improve our business will be heard. As key contributors to our success, our team members enjoy working in a business-casual, collaborative environment that offers state-of-the-art resources, advanced technologies, and an excellent benefits package.
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.