Energy Consulting Associate
- Boston, MA, USA
- Verisk Business: Power Advocate, Inc.
- Department: Consulting
PowerAdvocate leads the energy data industry by providing energy companies with clarity into their complex data. Our Energy FactBase, currently at $3+ trillion and growing, helps customers to create operational and financial excellence. We help our clients to understand how they can leverage our unique view of the marketplace to reduce costs and manage operation risk working with executives on the cutting edge in the power, oil and gas, and renewable energy sectors.
We develop applied Machine Learning solutions with the goal of scaling and automating the classification of millions of records of our clients’ supply chain data. For ten years, we have been classifying our clients’ purchasing transactions into our industry-specific categorization schema. This gives us an inordinate amount of training data – millions of rows of classified transactions representing over $3+ trillion of spend. That’s not a typo – three trillion dollars! Our efforts are focused on deploying fully-integrated Machine Learning algorithms to assist our industry experts in leveraging their knowledge at greater scale and efficiency. We have a fertile ground of training data, a can-do entrepreneurial spirit and appreciation for robust and effective analytics approaches to delivering value. To learn more about PowerAdvocate please visit us at: http://marketing.poweradvocate.com/. We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
With a history of impressive growth, an innovative culture, and offering industry-leading solutions, Verisk Analytics is an amazing place to work and make a difference. In 2018, Forbes magazine named Verisk to its World’s Best Employers list and, in 2017, to its World’s Most Innovative Companies list for the third consecutive year. We also earned the Great Place to Work® Certification for the third consecutive year in recognition of our outstanding workplace culture.
Verisk is a leading data analytics provider serving customers in insurance, energy and specialized markets, and financial services. Using advanced technologies to collect and analyze billions of records, Verisk draws on unique data assets and deep domain expertise to provide first-to-market innovations integrated into customer workflows. We’ve been delivering predictive analytics and decision support solutions to our customers for nearly 50 years, helping them protect people, property, and financial assets. At Verisk, you’ll be part of an organization that’s committed to serving the long-term interests of our stakeholders, including the communities where we operate.
At Verisk, you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create a positive and lasting impact on the business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. Our culture of innovation means your ideas on how to improve our business will be heard. As key contributors to our success, our team members enjoy working in a business-casual, collaborative environment that offers state-of-the-art resources, advanced technologies, and an excellent benefits package.
Deliver innovative thinking supported by detailed analytics, market research, subject matter expertise and use of our software tools to help our energy clients make effective supply chain and capital project execution decisions.
Coordinate with client supply chain management, PMOs, project executives and engineering teams as they design and implement supply chain and capital project procurement solutions.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities (Serving our Clients)
- Execute market research to assess supply and demand factors influencing our clients’ strategic business decisions
- Provide deep analysis of quantitative and qualitative data and synthesize results into meaningful conclusions to help our clients make strategic procurement and capital project decisions
- Support the bidding processes for large capital project contracts and supply chain strategic initiatives, including: performing pricing analysis, coordinating bidder correspondence, designing and orchestrating bidder negotiations and implementing contracting efforts
- Use the PowerAdvocate Energy Intelligence Platform software tools to analyze spend, build custom cost models, forecast escalation, manage eSourcing bid events and support many of our other consulting solutions. This often requires training our clients to harness the value of the PowerAdvocate software tools that they license in addition to using the tools to empower your own work.
- Up to 80% travel to client sites primarily in the U.S. and Canada is required (e.g., a typical work week requires Monday -Thursday travel, although some engagements require significantly less on-site presence)
- Managers are asked to both provide support to PowerAdvocate senior team members and act independently as required. Associates are expected to take increasing responsibility managing their work and client teams as they gain experience and progress towards promotion to Manager.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in internal Practice Areas designed to grow and organize our knowledge base, educate others and improve our solutions for specific energy sectors
- Assist with PowerAdvocate technology improvements and sales and marketing efforts
- Other duties assigned to meet business needs
• Exceptional analytical, problem solving, and time management skills; project management experience preferred
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills appropriate for a large spectrum of clientele
• Works well in a team environment
• Ability to learn quickly and adapt based on the needs of clients and PowerAdvocate
• BS/BA with a focus in engineering, science or business; graduate level engineering, science or MBA degree is preferred
• 1-3 years of experience with Owners in or suppliers serving the energy industry , particularly in a Business Operations or Engineering function within the Power, Oil & Gas and Petrochemical sectors
This position does not provide visa sponsorship
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.