Senior Database Engineer
- Boston, MA, USA
- Verisk Business: AIR Worldwide
- Department: Software Development
AIR Worldwide (AIR), a Verisk business, provides risk modeling solutions that make individuals, businesses, and society more resilient to extreme events. In 1987, AIR Worldwide founded the catastrophe modeling industry and today models the risk from natural catastrophes, terrorism, pandemics, casualty catastrophes, and cyber attacks, globally. Insurance, reinsurance, financial, corporate, and government clients rely on AIR’s advanced science, software, and consulting services for catastrophe risk management, insurance-linked securities, site-specific engineering analyses, and agricultural risk management. AIR Worldwide, is headquartered in Boston with additional offices in North America, Europe, and Asia. To learn more about AIR, please visit us at: www.air-worldwide.com. We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
With a history of impressive growth, an innovative culture, and offering industry-leading solutions, Verisk Analytics is an amazing place to work and make a difference. In 2018, Forbes magazine named Verisk to its World’s Best Employers list and, in 2017, to its World’s Most Innovative Companies list for the third consecutive year. We also earned the Great Place to Work® Certification for the third consecutive year in recognition of our outstanding workplace culture.
Verisk is a leading data analytics provider serving customers in insurance, energy and specialized markets, and financial services. Using advanced technologies to collect and analyze billions of records, Verisk draws on unique data assets and deep domain expertise to provide first-to-market innovations integrated into customer workflows. We’ve been delivering predictive analytics and decision support solutions to our customers for nearly 50 years, helping them protect people, property, and financial assets. At Verisk, you’ll be part of an organization that’s committed to serving the long-term interests of our stakeholders, including the communities where we operate.
At Verisk, you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create a positive and lasting impact on the business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. Our culture of innovation means your ideas on how to improve our business will be heard. As key contributors to our success, our team members enjoy working in a business-casual, collaborative environment that offers state-of-the-art resources, advanced technologies, and an excellent benefits package.
We are looking for Mid to Senior Database Engineers to join the Database Research and Development family, and work on new product developments. We are constantly researching and evaluating new technologies like Big Data, MPP database engines, cloud-based, to re-architect our products for increased performance and scalability or to create new ones. You should have a wide breadth of database design and development experience, and skills as do the other top notch members of the team. You will have the opportunity to be a key contributor to the growth of the company's product suite.
Successful people at AIR come from many different backgrounds, with a wide range of perspectives and experiences. For many roles, meeting the position requirements is essential, but we are also interested in your communications skills, your attention to detail and the various attributes that affect how you work and how you relate to the people you work with. In short, we look for people with a passion for achievement, integrity and the desire to make things happen.
· Learn and understand existing architecture and database design of AIR products and contribute to the technical design of next generation databases, which may span across multiple products
· Contribute to the distributed database schema design geared for scalability and performance;
· Design and implement risk management business functionality and in-database analytics
· Identify complex data problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and design and implement solutions
· Employ best database development practices to address performance and scalability issues with large databases
· Design and develop reference databases along with the ETL applications required to build them
· Design and develop star schemas, cubes, conduct data mining and analysis and provide technical assistance to data analysts and developers
· Strong analytical skills, real passion for working with data and strong interest in solving data problems
· Solid experience with data modeling and database design, OLTP and OLAP, data warehousing
· Strong working knowledge of SQL Server with proficiency in performance tuning, troubleshooting and writing T-SQL stored procedures in an application centric environment
· Solid experience with Microsoft BI stack (SSIS/SSAS/SSRS)
· Experience with Big Data technology and MPP databases like Matrix/Paracel, Vertica, Netezza, PDW, Greenplum
· Strong SQL skills, and database performance tuning skills
· Experience with SOA, SaaS, multi-tenancy, cloud technology a big plus
· Experience with .Net, Linux, C#, C++ or Java a big plus
Education and Training:
Bachelor’s in Computer Science, software engineering or information systems (Master’s preferred)
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.