Principal Consultant Solar Power and Renewables Americas
- Houston, TX, USA
- Verisk Business: Wood Mackenzie
Location: Houston / Boston
For the past 40 years, Wood Mackenzie has established its reputation as a trusted source of intelligence, enriching lives by empowering clients with unique insight on the world’s natural resources.
Now, as part of the Verisk Analytics family, that legacy is even stronger. Aligning with the world’s leading data analytics company extends our ability to help clients overcome the toughest challenges with our unrivalled analysis and advice.
We will continue to build on the power of our existing approach to assess and value individual assets and companies, allowing our clients to pursue the most promising opportunities. Together, we inspire and innovate the markets we serve – providing invaluable intelligence that informs the strategic decisions that will ultimately shape the future direction of our global natural resources.
Power and Renewables Overview
Wood Mackenzie Power and Renewables provides integrated subscription, research and advisory services thus enabling our clients make the best decisions within the transformation of the global electricity industry.
Our cutting-edge knowledge of solar power and wind supply chains, costs, and investment trends further strengthens Wood Mackenzie's offerings in the market during this rapidly changing time in the energy sector. Combining the recent acquisitions of Greentech Media (GTM) and MAKE with Wood McKenzie’s power research, provides a solid foundation to become the leading market / commercial analysis and advisory firm on the transformation of the global power industry.
Wood Mackenzie provides expert consulting services to hundreds of power and renewables industry stakeholders globally, including electric utilities, independent power producers, renewable and clean-tech companies, OEMs, C&Is, financial institutions, regional reliability councils and ISOs/RTOs and governments. Our expertise extends across the energy value chain, allowing us to help our clients address the full range of their strategic and operational challenges. In delivering our strategic advice we are able to draw directly on Wood Mackenzie’s proprietary research-driven content and analytical tools – a unique source of commercial insight extending across markets, companies and assets.
Our power and renewables consultants have outstanding credentials, first-class connections with key energy and renewable energy industry decision-makers globally and an unrivalled knowledge of regional and local markets. We deliver advice that is based on real substance.
As a key member of our Americas Power and Renewables Consulting Team, you will be responsible for leading and executing a wide range of both commercially- and technically-focused consultancy projects spanning the entire value chain of the global solar, energy storage, smart grid, micro grid and distributed energy disciplines within Wood Mackenzie’s growing Power and Renewables practice.
The successful candidate will have to be able to proactively develop and manage the relationships which exist between Wood Mackenzie and its key clients. The role will support the growth and business development of the Power and Renewables Consulting practice and require frequent engagement with clients throughout the region.
While the principal focus of the role is the North Americas markets, the job holder may be involved in a range of consulting projects spanning other regions of the world. The successful candidate can expect some degree of international travel.
As a Principal Consultant at Wood Mackenzie you will lead our consulting assignments and selected business development efforts:
- Define and communicate course of action to accomplish client goals for the assignment whether within a team or independently executed project
- Organise proper internal and external resources for projects
- Ensure mutual understanding the agreed to scope of work prior to project execution and client presentation
- Deliver to our clients agreed-upon work product on time and with high quality
- Track consultancy hours required to satisfactorily complete projects
- Review and close off project internally (project review, individual review, etc)
- Build and leverage professional networks, expand professional network through project execution and external avenues (industry conferences, trade publications, social networking)
- Identify and obtain sources of information, both internally and externally
- Keep abreast of developments across the global solar and energy storage industry
- Apply analytical approach to assignment
- Develop models to support analysis
- Generate strategic options and concepts to ensure client success
- Write and edit reports (independently and on behalf of others when required)
- Follow consulting procedures and methodologies
- Proactively maintaining a high-level of client interactions across the region, with specific focus on key clients
- Sourcing and developing strong relationships and a solid, repeatable, profitable consulting business
- Promoting best practice in terms of business development across the Power and Renewables Consulting group and the sales and account management departments
- Working with the Power and Renewables Consulting and Research teams to scope and write pitches ensuring quality, appropriate pricing, etc.
- Building and maintaining the internal network (across consulting, research and sales and account management) to deliver the best possible outcome for both Wood Mackenzie and its clients
- Generating innovative ideas and approaches to industry issues, both within particular assignments and to the consulting practice as a whole
- Engaging with and developing senior level client community to demonstrate and debate strategic industry issues and perspectives
- Working with colleagues in our other sector consulting teams to ensure good coordination across the value chain for our clients
- Ability to multi-task multiple consulting projects running parallel
- Ability to plan own work ensuring short and medium-term commitments are met
- Prioritise own work ensuring project objectives and targets are met
- Oversee team progress during projects to assure professional, on-time completion and delivery of projects
- At least 8 years of experience in solar industry with a strong understanding of regional markets, state solar carve out programs, supply chain dynamics, market analysis, technology trends and corporate business models and strategies. Some experience in an energy or strategy consulting environment would be beneficial
- Working experience with distributed energy resources, smart grid and micro grid, and associated technologies will be a plus
- Bachelors degree in engineering or economics
- MBA or Master's or Phd degree preferred
- Proven experience of working in project teams, whether in a consulting context or within an operating or service company.
- Experience of building and maintaining relationships with clients
- Experience of developing a consulting scope of work and associated work-plans
- Track record of quickly becoming knowledgeable and speaking credibly about a wide-range of subjects and themes
- Ensures high quality work standards are met and appropriate audit trails are created and maintained
- Strong Presentation and Writing Skills
- Advanced Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel skills
- Personal time management skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Travel required up to 25% domestic and international
- Assertive and influential
- Issue identification, problem solving and analysis-
- Planning, implementation and control
- Project Management Skills
- Building and Maintaining Relationship
Wood Mackenzie Core Values
Wood Mackenzie is a place where we are committed to supporting our people to grow and thrive. We value different perspectives and aspire to create an inclusive environment which encourages diversity and fosters a sense of belonging.
Wood Mackenzie values each individual's contribution and helps them reach their full potential while sustaining an organisational culture of health and well-being.
Our core values are:
- Respect for the Individual
- Confidence with humility
We understand the importance of achieving balance between work, family and other life commitments. We are open to considering flexible working arrangements to enable the greatest spectrum of talent to contribute to Wood Mackenzie’s success.
Unsolicited resumes submitted to Wood Mackenzie by any external recruitment agency via Internet, e-mail, fax, or U.S. mail become the property of Wood Mackenzie and we are not responsible for any fees associated with those resumes.
In compliance with the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and 1991, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities act of 1990 and all other relevant federal and state laws, the policy of this company prohibits discrimination in employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity and/or expression, age, veteran’s status, disability, genetic information or any other group protected by law. Applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity and/or expression, age, veteran’s status, disability, genetic information or any other group protected by law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access WoodMac.com/careers on-line as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations sending an email to [email protected]
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D, and a member of E-Verify.