Research Associate, Solar Supply Chain
- Shanghai, China
- Verisk Business: Wood Mackenzie
We are looking for a Research Associate and to join our Power & Renewables team in Shanghai. Wood Mackenzie Power and Renewables provides integrated subscription, research and advisory services to inform and support our client’s commercial and strategic decisions in the complex and rapidly changing electric power industry.
Combining our deep knowledge of solar, wind, storage, and grid technologies, with our global power and fuels modelling and analysis capabilities, Wood Mackenzie can provide data and insight spanning supply chain, technology costs, policy and market issues, fundamentals-based outlooks, price forecasting, asset valuation, and commodity market issues.
About you and how you can excel in this role
You have an analytical mindset and an eye for detail, which has been proven in your academic and work experience to date. You are comfortable collecting and interpreting data, articulating your findings in a clear and insightful manner. You also have a flair for writing and communication.
Your long-term aspiration is to be an influential expert setting the industry agenda leveraging off data analytics. You are looking for a place where you can grow and learn from others in a collaborative, commercial and client-centric environment.
You are able to work independently and as part of a team, generating ideas you want to share. The way in which you work is productive and driven, striving to be best in class.
About the role
This role will serve as part of the Global Power and Renewables team, with a focus on the solar module supply chain. This is an excellent opportunity to join a growing team and make a major contribution to building a power research practice from its foundation. Combining propriety data with market simulation tools and models we help our clients understand market supply, demand, costs and prices. Wood Mackenzie directly serves clients who are responsible for the success of their firms’ technology roadmap, competitive positioning, product marketing, and go-to market strategies.
The Research Associate will support the development and operation of solar PV supply chain models and associated processes, databases and reports for our growing Power & Renewables practice. These responsibilities will include collecting market information/intelligence, preparing data, conducting modelling exercises, and supporting report production. The Research Associate will build databases and processes for a variety of purposes, including the analysis of PV supply chain technologies, component pricing, PV market supply-demand balance, and manufacturing capacity expansion/consolidation trends. Key responsibilities of the role will include market research, data collection, management and analysis, and supporting the fundamental analysis efforts of the team and our clients.
- Lead new data collection, both qualitative and quantitative, on solar supply chain trends, technology trends, drivers, pricing, offerings, and company-specific competitiveness.
- Maintain and improve existing datasets and model outputs to ensure they are up to date and representative of current industry trends
- Assist on the development of original market analysis with a culmination in client deliverables and industry thought leadership pieces.
- Work with other teams across Power and Renewables to maintain the consistency and integrity of data.
- Collaborate with peers across Wood Mackenzie and Greentech Media to support research reports, conferences, marketing services and editorial coverage.
Knowledge and Experience
- Interest in renewable energy and the broad transformation of the electricity sector. Previous experience with the solar industry is a plus.
- Strong analytical capabilities – both qualitative and quantitative. Fluent with Excel and PowerPoint.
- Fluency with reading, writing, and communicating in English and Chinese
- Intellectually curious and can think critically about the effect of a wider business landscape.
- Ability to work independently and effectively within a global team
- Strong organizational skills and an eye towards collaboration
- An engaging nature, capable of connecting with coworkers, clients and industry stakeholders in a wide range of professional settings
- Previous experience in market research and energy technology is a plus.
- A bachelor’s degree in related technology, economics, and business field. A master’s degree is a plus.
What you’ll love about Wood Mackenzie
For the past 45 years, we have established our reputation as a trusted source of knowledge and forward- looking insight for the world’s most innovative organisations.
Our teams are located around the world, and deliver research and consulting projects based on our assessment and valuation of thousands of individual assets, companies and economic indicators such as market supply, demand and price trends. As a result, we can count the world’s key energy institutions and governments among our most loyal clients.
We are committed to supporting our people to grow and thrive. We value different perspectives and aspire to create an inclusive environment that encourages diversity and fosters a sense of belonging. We value everyone’s contribution and support them to reach their full potential while sustaining an organisational culture of health and well-being. There are opportunities to get involved in our Wellness, Diversity and Inclusion, and Community Engagement initiatives. We actively support flexible working and are happy to consider alternative work patterns, taking into account your needs and the needs of the team or division that you are looking to join.
Hear what our team has to say about working with us:
We are part of a company that has been named as a Best Employer by Forbes Magazine and on the Forbes Most Innovative Companies list three years running. Verisk is one of only 15 out of 500 companies to appear on both lists. We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
What you’ll love about Verisk
Verisk Analytics has an amazing story to tell. In 2017, Forbes magazine named Verisk to its World’s Most Innovative Companies list for the third consecutive year and to its America’s Best Mid-Size Employers list. We also earned the Great Place to Work® Certification for the second consecutive year in recognition of our outstanding workplace culture.
Verisk is a leading data analytics provider serving customers in insurance, natural resources, and financial services. We’ve been delivering data, analytics, and decision support services to our customers for more than 45 years, helping them protect people, property, and financial assets. At Verisk, you’ll be part of an organization that’s committed to serving the long-term interests of our stakeholders, including the communities where we operate.
At Verisk, you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create a positive and lasting impact on the business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. Our culture of innovation means your ideas on how to improve our business will be heard. As key contributors to our success, our team members enjoy working in a business-casual, collaborative environment that offers state-of-the-art resources, advanced technologies, and an excellent benefits package.
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability .
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.