Director Power and Renewables Consulting Americas
- Houston, TX, USA
- Verisk Business: Wood Mackenzie
- Department: Consulting
For the past 40 years, Wood Mackenzie has established its reputation as a trusted source of intelligence, enriching lives by empowering clients with unique insight on the world’s natural resources.
Now, as part of the Verisk Analytics family, that legacy is even stronger. Aligning with the world’s leading data analytics company extends our ability to help clients overcome the toughest challenges with our unrivalled analysis and advice.
We will continue to build on the power of our existing approach to assess and value individual assets and companies, allowing our clients to pursue the most promising opportunities. Together, we inspire and innovate the markets we serve – providing invaluable intelligence that informs the strategic decisions that will ultimately shape the future direction of our global natural resources.
Power and Renewables Overview
Wood Mackenzie Power and Renewables provides integrated subscription, research and advisory services to assist clients in making the best decisions within the transformation of the global electricity industry.
Our cutting-edge knowledge of solar power, energy storage and wind supply chains, costs and investment trends further strengthens Wood Mackenzie's offerings in the market during this rapidly changing time in the energy sector. Combining the recent acquisitions of Greentech Media (GTM) and MAKE with Wood McKenzie’s power research, provides a solid foundation to be the leading market / commercial analysis and advisory firm on the transformation of the global power industry.
Wood Mackenzie provides expert consulting services to hundreds of power and renewables industry stakeholders globally, including electric utilities, independent power producers, renewable and clean-tech companies, OEMs, C&Is, financial institutions, regional reliability councils and ISOs/RTOs and governments. Our expertise extends across the energy value chain, allowing us to help our clients address a vast range of their strategic and operational challenges. In delivering our strategic advice, we are able to draw directly on Wood Mackenzie’s proprietary research-driven content and analytical tools – a unique source of commercial insight extending across markets, companies and assets.
Our power and renewables consultants have outstanding credentials, first-class connections with key energy and renewable energy industry decision-makers and an unrivalled knowledge of regional and local markets. We deliver substantive, actionable advice across North and South America.
As a key member of our Americas Power and Renewables Consulting Team, you will be focused on developing client relationships and delivering subject matter expertise and complex solutions on a range of engagements spanning the entire value chain of the global thermal, solar, energy storage, smart grid, micro grid and distributed energy disciplines within Wood Mackenzie’s growing Power and Renewables practice. You will work closely with the Head of the Power and Renewables Consulting practice to develop and deliver the vision, "go to market" strategy and service offerings for the regional practice.
The Director role will include qualifying engagement opportunities, structuring and creating proposals, active management of projects and personnel, production of quality deliverables, and client management. Success in the position is contingent on your abilities to work collaboratively with colleagues, manage staff and resources and leverage the talents of Wood Mackenzie research and sales colleagues across the globe.
The position requires strategic thinking, analytical and commercial capabilities related to power and renewables markets and the ability to transform fundamental research into salient, actionable advice. Successful candidates will be creative thinkers, analytically astute, and solutions oriented. In addition to strong interpersonal qualities, candidates are expected to have superior communication skills (written and verbal) in both formal and non-formal settings.
Furthermore, the successful candidate is required to proactively develop and manage the relationships which exist between Wood Mackenzie and its key clients. The role will support the growth and business development of the Power and Renewables Consulting practice and require frequent engagement with clients throughout the region.
While the primary focus of the role is the North American markets, the position may also require involvement in a range of consulting projects across other regions of the world. The successful candidate can expect some degree of international travel.
As a Director at Wood Mackenzie you will lead our consulting assignments and selected business development efforts:
- Build and leverage professional networks, expand professional network through project execution and external avenues (industry conferences, trade publications, social networking)
- Define and communicate course of action to accomplish client goals for the assignment whether within a team or independently executed project
- Organise proper internal and external resources for projects
- Ensure mutual understanding the agreed to scope of work prior to project execution and client presentation
- Deliver to our clients agreed-upon work product on time and with high quality
- Successfully manage daily client interface on projects
- Track consultancy hours required to satisfactorily complete projects
- Review and close off project internally (project review, individual team member review, etc)
- Keep abreast of developments across the power & renewables industry
- Apply analytical approach to assignment
- Generate strategic options and concepts to ensure client success
- Write, edit and review reports (independently and on behalf of others when required)
- Follow consulting procedures and methodologies
- Structuring proposals and serving as Project Manager or Project Director
- Proactively maintaining a high-level of client interactions across the region, with specific focus on key clients
- Building and maintaining the internal network (across consulting, research and sales and account management) to deliver the best possible outcome for both Wood Mackenzie and its clients
- Generating innovative ideas and approaches to industry issues, both within particular assignments and to the consulting practice as a whole
- Engaging with and developing senior level client community to demonstrate and debate strategic industry issues and perspectives
- Working with colleagues in our other sector consulting teams to ensure good coordination across the value chain for our clients
- Serve as a mentor or counsellor to junior members of the team
- Ability to multi-task multiple consulting projects running parallel
- Ability to plan own work ensuring short and medium-term commitments are met
- Prioritise own work ensuring project objectives and targets are met
- Oversee team progress during projects to assure professional, on-time completion and delivery of projects
- Sourcing and developing strong relationships and a solid, repeatable, profitable consulting business
- Promoting best practice in terms of business development across the Power and Renewables Consulting group and the sales and account management departments
- Working with the Power and Renewables Consulting, Sales and Research teams to scope and write pitches ensuring quality, appropriate pricing, etc.
Knowledge & Experience Required
- At least 12+ years of work experience in power and renewables area with a minimum of 10 years in consulting. We will also consider candidates with a blend of relevant industry and consulting experience
- Strong knowledge of North American power markets including regional differences
- Experience in the development, valuation, and/or due diligence of power assets
- Working knowledge of one or more renewable technologies
- Bachelors degree in economics, business, engineering, applied math or physics
- MBA or Master's or Phd degree is preferred
- Proven experience managing and working in project teams, whether in a consulting, operating or service company
- Experience building and maintaining relationships with clients
- Experience developing consulting scopes of work and associated work-plans
- Track record of quickly becoming knowledgeable and speaking credibly about a wide-range of subjects and themes
- Strong presentation and writing skills
- Ability to effectively use Microsoft Office products – Word, Excel, Power Point, Access
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- English fluency is required. Spanish fluency is a plus
- Travel required up to 25% domestic and international
- Client focused
- Assertive and influential
- Issue identification, problem solving and analysis
- Planning, implementation and control
- Efficiency focused
- Project Management Skills
- Building and Maintaining Relationship
Wood Mackenzie Core Values
Wood Mackenzie is a place where we are committed to supporting our people to grow and thrive. We value different perspectives and aspire to create an inclusive environment which encourages diversity and fosters a sense of belonging.
Wood Mackenzie values each individual's contribution and helps them reach their full potential while sustaining an organisational culture of health and well-being.
Our core values are:
- Respect for the individual
- Confidence with humility
We understand the importance of achieving balance between work, family and other life commitments. We are open to considering flexible working arrangements to enable the greatest spectrum of talent to contribute to Wood Mackenzie’s success.
Unsolicited resumes submitted to Wood Mackenzie by any external recruitment agency via Internet, e-mail, fax, or U.S. mail become the property of Wood Mackenzie and we are not responsible for any fees associated with those resumes.
In compliance with the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and 1991, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities act of 1990 and all other relevant federal and state laws, the policy of this company prohibits discrimination in employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity and/or expression, age, veteran’s status, disability, genetic information or any other group protected by law. Applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity and/or expression, age, veteran’s status, disability, genetic information or any other group protected by law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access WoodMac.com/careers on-line as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations sending an email to [email protected]
Wood Mackenzie is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D, and a member of E-Verify.