Collection System Tech
- Contract Type: Standard
About Veolia North America
A subsidiary of Veolia group, Veolia North America (VNA) offers a full spectrum of water, waste and energy management services, including water and wastewater treatment, commercial and hazardous waste collection and disposal, energy consulting and resource recovery. VNA helps commercial, industrial, healthcare, higher education and municipality customers throughout North America. Headquartered in Boston, Mass., Veolia North America has more than 10,000 employees working at more than 350 locations across the continent. Please visit our website www.veolianorthamerica.com.
Pay Rate: $30.00 to $35.00 Per Hour
Veolia's comprehensive benefits package includes paid time off policies, as well as health, dental and vision insurance. In addition, employees are also entitled to participate in an employer sponsored 401(k) plan, to save for retirement. Pay and benefits for employees represented by a union are outlined in their collective bargaining agreement.
- Operates machinery and equipment associated with the operation of a wastewater collection system manually and through instrumentation panels, computer terminals and programmable logic control units following process control procedures. Monitors and observes operating conditions, records observations and data in shift log. Diagnoses basic operational problems and takes corrective action per procedure.
- Performs routine CLAIR (cleaning, lubrication, adjustment, inspection and minor repair) on tools and related equipment which may include pumps, engines, centrifuges, generators, valves, gates, mixers, conveyors, blowers, dryers, chemical feed, odor control, disinfection equipment, vacuum filters and belt presses. Reports and documents results of work performed and enters into appropriate database. Promptly reports any operational problems with machines or equipment to Lead or Supervisor.
- Inspects field equipment and becomes proficient at mechanical troubleshooting to determine repairs needed. Dismantles equipment to gain access to and repairs defective parts using hand tools, power tools and precision measuring and testing devices. Re-assembles and tests equipment ensuring safe and efficient operating condition is restored. Learns to troubleshoot hydraulic, pneumatic and electronic equipment and instrumentation.
- Rehabilitates, repairs and replaces applicable sewer system infrastructure such as manholes, catch basins, sewer lines, etc.
- Performs manual labor including cleaning equipment, facilities and grounds as required and properly disposes of waste according to safety and environmental policies. Operates vehicles, mobile equipment and material handling equipment for operational and maintenance purposes.
- May assist in other areas of facility as directed.
- Spends 100% of the time in operations environment. Typically spends 75% of time exposed to outdoor and sometimes inclement weather.
- Company service vehicles are used as required.
- Travels 1 – 2 times per year for company provided training. May be required to travel up to five consecutive days.
- May serve rotational 24 hour emergency on-call.
- Possible Work Hazards: May be exposed to possible operations hazards including traffic, fumes, dust, toxic and caustic chemicals, noise, rotating machinery, high pressure and hot and cold temperatures, slippery surfaces, water and electrical hazards.
- High school or GED with the ability to read, write and comprehend English (operational, process, safety and quality instructions) and the ability to interpret and record data.
- Some vocational training and mechanical aptitude preferred, with the ability to read, interpret and record data from meters, gauges, scales, panels, computer consoles and other equipment.
- At least two years experience in a related position with experience in a similar environment preferred, with working knowledge of the standard practices, common tools, materials, and occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Experience using material handling equipment, pressure gauges and precision measuring instruments.
- Experience safely using trade tools and equipment to inspect, maintain, troubleshoot or
- install mechanical, electromechanical, pneumatic and hydraulic equipment.
- Must be able to carry out verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Must have the ability to diagnose basic and routine process and mechanical problems and take remedial corrective action.
- Must have basic computer skills and have ability to operate programs for process control, the Computer Maintenance Management System.
- Must consistently demonstrate the ability to learn and independently perform assigned duties and meet or exceed production and quality goals.
- Must demonstrate ability to work in a team environment and willingness to assume additional or new responsibilities readily.
- Must be able to serve rotational 24 hour emergency on-call if required by site.
- Minimum collection system operator certification as required by regulatory agency at site.
- Must possess a valid CDL driver’s license and a safe driving record.
- Sitting 10%, Bending 10%, Standing 10%, and Walking 70% for as many as five miles per shift.
- Requires close visual and hearing observation to detect non-conformance and machine malfunction.
- Constantly uses hands to finger, handle or feel and frequently reaches with hands and arms.
- Works in various positions; may work on ladders, catwalks, and supports at heights of 50 feet above the ground.
- Works with hands extended in front of body up to 40 minutes using hand tools weighing up to 15 pounds. Must be able to lift and carry 60 pounds, in standing and bending positions, distances of 10 feet.
- Occasional stooping, bending or kneeling and entering confined spaces.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer! All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Disclaimer: The salary, other compensation, and benefits information is accurate as of the date of this posting. The Company reserves the right to modify this information at any time, subject to applicable law.