Operator In Training OIT
- Contract Type: Standard
Veolia Group aims to be the benchmark company for ecological transformation. With nearly 220,000 employees worldwide, the Group designs and provides game-changing solutions that are both useful and practical for water, waste and energy management. Through its three complementary business activities, Veolia helps to develop access to resources, preserve available resources and replenish them. In 2021, the Veolia group provided 79 million inhabitants with drinking water and 61 million with sanitation, produced nearly 48 million megawatt hours and recovered 48 million tonnes of waste. Veolia Environnement (Paris Euronext: VIE) achieved consolidated revenue of 28,508 billion euros in 2021. www.veolia.com
Operates and maintains water/wastewater treatment, processing, disposal and testing equipment in water/wastewater treatment facility to purify water to meet permit and operational requirements.
PRIMARY DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
- Tends automatic and semi-automatic machines and related equipment including pumps, engines, generators, valves, gates, mixers, conveyors, blowers, chemical feed and odor control and vacuum filters used to decontaminate waste water by settling, aeration and sludge digestion.
- Monitors control panels and adjusts valves and gates manually or by remote control to regulate flow.
- Monitors flow meters, gauges, flow ratios, pressures and related controls through instrument panels, computer terminals and programmable logic control units in assigned area.
- Monitors and records operating conditions observations and data in area shift log.
- Ensures conformance to process specifications. Diagnoses basic operational problems and takes corrective action per procedure. Verifies and reports suspected malfunctions and variances to supervisor and takes corrective actions.
- Performs routine and preventative maintenance and maintenance related items as assigned.
- Performs manual labor including filling and emptying of machine bins and cleaning equipment, facilities and grounds as required.
- Performs minor maintenance including, but not limited to, routine preventive maintenance, lubrication and minor adjustments.
- Operates vehicles for plant operational purposes.
- Practices good housekeeping in assigned area and properly disposes of waste according to safety and environmental policies.
- Performs field tests (chemical, physical and biological) in order to pace chemical dosages for process and odor control units or alter unit processes.
- Samples wastewater, sludge and gases (odor control, digester, etc.) according to schedule.
- Prepares chemical solutions and services automatic samplers.
- Monitors process chemical supplies and recommends reorder.
- Performs routine lab tests.
- Performs routine instrument calibration for portable meters including, but not limited to, dissolved oxygen, pH, H2S, percent oxygen, lower explosive limit.
Spends 100% of the time in operations environment. May need to work outside in inclement weather conditions and drive company vehicle to perform duties.
Possible Work Hazards: May be exposed to possible operations hazards including fumes, toxic and caustic chemicals, heavy machinery, high pressure, hot or cold work environment temperatures, slippery surfaces, water hazards and electrical equipment.
Education / Experience / Background
- Six months to two years experience in a related position and environment with knowledge of the methods, techniques, and practices of water/wastewater treatment.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Must have the ability to read, write and comprehend English (operational, process, safety and quality instructions).
- Must have the ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Must consistently demonstrate the ability to learn and independently operate assigned machines and equipment meeting or exceeding processing and quality targets.
- Must demonstrate ability to learn and independently operate equipment such as pumps, engines, centrifuge, generators, valves, gates, mixers, conveyors, blowers, dryers, chemical feed, odor control, disinfection equipment, sludge processing filters, belt presses and measuring/control devices, testing equipment and material handling equipment.
- Must demonstrate a working ability to use computer programs for process control.
- Must demonstrate ability to work in a team environment and willingness to assume additional or new responsibilities readily.
- Must be able to serve rotational 24 hour emergency on-call if required by site.
Required Certification / Licenses / Training
- Typically holds or is working toward a first level treatment certificate. (Requires minimum water/wastewater license as required by regulatory agencies at site).
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and a safe driving record.
Amount of time spent – Standing 25%, Walking 75% for as many as five miles per shift.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch and enter confined spaces. May be required to use ladders or stairs. The employee must lift and/or move up to 50 pounds (occasionally 60 pounds). Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus. Requires close visual observation to detect process non-conformance and machine malfunction.
- Hourly Pay minimum $22.00 to maximum $26.00
Veolia's comprehensive benefits package includes paid time off policies, as well as health, dental and vision insurance. In addition, employees are also entitled to participate in an employer sponsored 401(k) plan, to save for retirement. Pay and benefits for employees represented by a union are outlined in their collective bargaining agreement.
A subsidiary of Veolia group, Veolia North America (VNA) offers a full spectrum of water, waste and energy management services, including water and wastewater treatment, commercial and hazardous waste collection and disposal, energy consulting and resource recovery. VNA helps commercial, industrial, healthcare, higher education and municipality customers throughout North America. Headquartered in Boston, Mass., Veolia North America has more than 10,000 employees working at more than 350 locations across the continent. www.veolianorthamerica.com
As an inclusive company, Veolia is committed to diversity and gives equal consideration to all applications, without discrimination. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer! All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Disclaimer: The salary, other compensation, and benefits information is accurate as of the date of this posting. The Company reserves the right to modify this information at any time, subject to applicable law.