- Vancouver, BC, Canada
We are a tech incubator that experiments with ideas in a cool laboratory we call our second home. Think of it like a tech lab, building and evolving great tech ideas and projects with millions of eyeballs on our projects across mobile, social and the web. The success of our projects, such as Chit Chats - Canada’s newest low cost shipping carrier, Venture.com - our domain name leasing platform, BlackFriday.com, and many more have allowed us the luxury of handpicking our projects.
We're a bunch of dreamers from all walks of life who love working together to experiment and build stuff. We’re a purposefully small and diverse group of people with backgrounds in art, design, software development, accounting, entrepreneurship, customer service, medicine, fire and rescue, real estate, and culinary arts!
We’re looking for an experienced candidate who’s ready to join our caring, dynamic, diverse, fast-paced environment. Our values resonate with you and you strive for quality, not perfection. People enjoy working with you because of your technical competence and positive attitude. We appreciate people who can build trust, take a stand and yet commit when they disagree.
About the job
You will join our team as a core contributor to one of our current projects (Chit Chats, Venture), or help us shape fresh ideas into new projects. Each new project is like a new start-up. We value ownership at the individual level, feedback, initiative and collaboration. You can expect to grow in your strengths, versatility, and competence in this job. In return you will get an inclusive, eager team that will support you, rise to challenges with you, and grow with you.
On your first day, we'll expect you to have:
- BS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience
- 3+ years of experience designing and building production-level web applications
- Experience with Ruby on Rails, or the desire to learn it quickly
- Comfortable with relational databases and SQL (we use PostgreSQL)
- Experience with relational databases and design of data models
- Passion for learning and always improving yourself and the team around you
- Excellent communication skills in written and verbal forms, and an ability to communicate complex technical issues to a range of technical and non-technical audiences (management, peers, clients)
It's great, but not required if you have:
- Further education or experience in engineering, computer science or other tech-related field
- Experience in taking substantial features from concept to shipping as the sole developer
- Familiarity with CI/CD approaches, experience supporting and troubleshooting software in production
- Experience working on a distributed team
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
- Collaborate with other developers and departments to come up with great solutions to tough problems, write the best code for the project and deliver amazing results that our users love
- Actively participate in code reviews
- Own the entirety of your features; including component design, implementation, automated testing, and rollout
We offer competitive salaries based on your experience, meaningful equity, and a sweet RRSP matching program. We value rest and have a flexible approach. Employees are granted three weeks of vacation (and earn an additional day every year on your anniversary date) as well as personal days and a few more holidays which you might not expect!
We support our team's health by offering comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans to best fit your and your family's needs. We also offer paid maternity and paternity leave to help you adjust to life with your new little one.
We promote continuous learning and provide development opportunities through courses, training, conferences and tutorials. Spend up to $3,400 over a two-year cycle and have 90% covered by us.
We understand that being at your desk for long hours has its drawbacks, so we have adjustable stand-up desks, an on-site fitness facility with weights, mats, rollers, and a state-of-the-art indoor cycling system. Cycle solo or with a group while tracking your real-time stats on big-screen TVs.
Our in-house French chef has worked at two Michelin two-star restaurants in France and Japan, cooks delicious and healthy 2-course free lunches with organic ingredients. Check out the food labs' Instagram page to see some delicious lunch spreads.
You can probably tell, we’re into health at Reinvent. Our founder just happens to also be a medical doctor who cares deeply about preventative health. This means our kitchen is always stocked with healthy, organic snacks and drinks for all to enjoy.