Senior Data Analyst
- Local Airport Rd, Ikeja, Nigeria
Venture Garden Nigeria (VGN) is a fast-growing Software company with a vision to build an enduring organization with an ecosystem of value creators- while delivering high impact technology solutions for emerging markets through a culture of entrepreneurship and innovation. At VGN we wage war against the average, go beyond the ordinary to explore limitless opportunities; breaking the norms and aggressively pursuing success through- Relentless Hard-work, Pursuit of excellence, calculated risk taking and a hunger for knowledge and we have a lot of fun at it!
As a Senior Data Analyst, you will be a dedicated resource of a Strategic Business Unit (SBU) and as such will work directly in the SBU. All assigned task from the Analyst Competence Center will be targeted at personal development (and occasionally to cover for shortfalls in capacity). You will be tasked with learning sector/industry specific skills while also perfecting skills around Data Analyst competence and knowledge areas through training and practical approach to learning.
Principal responsibilities and accountabilities
- Metrics: Define and evaluate key business metrics and understand what moves them and why.
- Data Modelling: Design well-structured tables that are at the correct grain, format and structured for widespread use (e.g. using Kimball modelling and data normalisation techniques).
- Visualization: Use Looker to design actionable and insightful reporting.
- Insight and analysis: Support the marketing team to generate forecasts, realistic commercial targets and opportunity analysis.
- Analytical education: Hold training sessions and more to evangelise Power BI, R or Python and data analysis best practices throughout the company.
- Software Engineering Mindset: Automate tasks and work to deploy production standard code (with unit testing, continuous integration, versioning, clean code, DRY principles etc).
- Master Data: Managing master data, including creation, updates, and deletion. Including Commissioning and decommissioning of data sets.
- Reporting: Helping develop reports and analysis. Managing and designing the reporting environment, including data sources, security, and metadata. Generating reports from single or multiple systems.
- Technical Contribution: Providing technical expertise on data storage structures, data mining, and data cleansing.
- Business insight: Understand complex business processes and break down fuzzy requirements into actionable segments.
- Stakeholder Management: Demonstrate maturity in the management of executive stakeholders and clients, always exceeding expectation set for continuous improvement.
- Multi-tasking: Prioritize workloads to balance conflicting priorities in order to ensure that all given deadlines are achieved to a high standard.
- Discipline, drive, depth understanding of a sector: Requires quick assimilation of the sectors / industries within the Company's portfolio
- Cross Functional Collaboration: Partner with Program / Product Managers, Engineers and Business Functions to provide valuable insights and success measurement
- Technical Documentation: Proven quality of technical Documentation, where required, showing attention to details and clarity with a maximum of 2 reviews. With almost zero iteration required.
What Success Looks Like
- The business is able to drive actionable insight from its data creating a step change in business performance.
- Key dashboards and alerts are in high usage by Enterprise wide teams and drive daily actions.
- Reports and insight drive commercial and marketing strategy.
- Key commercial teams are trained on Power BI and data analysis and apply these practices and tools effectively in their day to day role.
- Forecasts are delivered on time and to a high level of accuracy.
- Coding (SQL primarily + Python and/or R), intermediate level
- Experience with relational databases, ETL and data acquisition
- Experience with manipulating flat files from Python
- Experience with data analytics: EDA, sampling, visualization, data cleaning / wrangling
- Experience with data warehousing and reporting tools
- Young, passionate and available to put in the long hours.
- BSc Certificate holder, Certification in a Business, Science, Mathematical or Technology related course
- 4-7 years’ work experience in a similar/relevant role from a reputable organization (Experience in Business Intelligence or Data Analyst roles is an advantage).
- An understanding of the role of a Business / Data Analyst in a Technology product and service company.
- Drives significant insight from information gathered on the VGG sector happenings and market trends.
- Above average level proficiency in the use of basic Microsoft office application/tools (MS Office, Visio, Smart draw, prototyping tools)
Added Considerations but not mandatory:
- Experience of data visualization tools such as Looker, Tableau, SQL Report Service, Power BI and data modelling / design.
- Demonstrable knowledge of Google Analytics or other web analytics systems.
- Expertise in digital marketing analytics.
- Strong background in Mathematics or Statistics.
- Computer Science background
- A master’s degree in a relevant field
- Sector Knowledge in Power, Aviation, Education or Finance
- Project Management Certification - PMI, Scrum
Skills & Abilities
- Good Team player
- The right level of attention to detail
- Excellent writing skills
- Good time management skill
- Excellent Communications skills
- Speedy learner
- Ability to lead small - mid-sized project teams
- Dependable, shows dedication and hunger to learn
- Exhibits confidence and maturity in handling senior management and executives internally and externally.
- Personal Presentation and Brand Management skills
- Cross-functional/ Cross-Business Thinking skills
- Willing, ready and able to learn new skills on the go
- High emotional intelligence
- Self-driven and Self-motivated
- Empathetic and understanding
- Skilled motivator
- Organized and Focused
Flexibility is important.
The role is open to anyone who meets the above criteria regardless of race or nationality
Must be ready to relocate to Lagos.
Competitive based on experience
Deadline for application: 12th June 2019