R&D Product & Process Technologist
Valeo Snackfoods is the combination of Kettle Foods, Tangerine, Big Bear and It’s All Good and is one of the UK’s top 100 grocery brands. It is headquartered in Norwich and Pontefract and employs over 2,000 people. Over the past few years, we have strengthened our portfolio to include the Metcalfe’s popcorn brand and Yellow Chips in Emmeloord, Netherlands. The business in the UK and Europe generates revenues of over £280 million.
Our brands include KETTLE® Chips, Metcalfe’s® popcorn, Foxes, Poppets, Barratt (Wham!, Fruit Salads, Black Jacks, Refreshers, Sherbet fountain, Dip Dab).
The R&D Product & Process Technologist is a key part of the business Innovation function and reports into the Head of Product Development - Snacks.
The R&D Product & Process Technologist will be responsible for the development of new product development throughout the Valeo Snackfoods stage gate process from concept to launch for our branded products and retailer own branded products. This is vital to ensure all new products, including changes to existing products are developed to the required quality standard, safely, legally, ensuring the target costing are achieved and the product is delivered in line with the agreed critical path timings first time.
The R&D Product & Process Technologist is required to work across our Valeo Snackfoods sites, developing products across our range of technologies.
The R&D Product & Process Technologist will work with all internal and external stakeholders including suppliers, our brand teams, retailer customers through face-to-face meetings and site visits as required.
The R&D Product & Process Technologist will be required to support the packaging team within the innovation department with packaging reduction, changes in packaging formats through trials, transit tests, shelf life etc and also to support with the VSF artwork system – GoProof.
- Developing & managing new products end to end from concept to launch across branded & ROB products, across all snacking technologies
- Sourcing of new raw materials for recipe base development
- Briefing and developing new flavour seasonings with our flavour suppliers
- Planning and running base recipe trials across all snacking technologies
- Customer presentations of new products, along with supporting submission documents & presentations
- Management and completion of factory trials – product / packaging / process / equipment
- Management of pre-productions and first product launches
- The reporting and recording of product trials and testing.
- Communication with suppliers, managing timescales for trials and launches
- Completion and recording of documents for new products and materials in line with our launch procedure
- Clear, regular updates of all projects to stakeholders
- Upkeep of team project and trial trackers
- Line management of the Process Development Technologists across the VSF sites
- Reviews of alterative and new raw materials
- Arranging relevant testing for product trials
- Completion of transit trials and other tests as required by customer policies
- Approve artworks on VSF artwork system – GoProof
- Degree or Equivalent in Food Science or similar
- A ‘foodie’ with a passion for creative innovation
- Able to effectively manage people, systems and processes
- Ability to work alone or as part of team
- Sound working knowledge of Microsoft office products
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a food production environment
- Project management experience
- Full driving licence and willing to travel with the UK and Europe
- Self-motivated and self-starter with a positive attitude
- Excellent people communication and management skills
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Results driven – able to recognise potential problems and be able to stand back and provide ideas to resolve
- Logical thinker
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, both alone and as part of a team
- Able to use experience, analysis and judgment to make decisions
- Gets things done by showing determination and urgency
What we offer you in return
- Up to £35,000 (DOE)
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays
- Matched pension scheme
- Death in service
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free parking
- Staff discount
- And plenty more!