Associate Director/Director, R&D Program Management
- 200 Cambridgepark Dr, Cambridge, MA 02140, USA
Unum Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing curative cell therapies to treat a broad range of cancer patients. Unum’s novel proprietary technologies include Antibody-Coupled T cell Receptor (ACTR), an autologous engineered T-cell therapy that combines the cell-killing ability of T cells and the tumor-targeting ability of co-administered antibodies to exert potent antitumor immune responses, and Bolt-On Chimeric Receptor (BOXR), designed to improve the functionality of engineered T cells by incorporating a “bolt-on” transgene to overcome resistance of the solid tumor microenvironment to T cell attack. Unum has multiple programs in Phase 1 clinical testing and preclinical testing, including; ACTR707 used in combination with trastuzumab in adult patients with HER2+ advanced cancer and used in combination with rituximab in adult patients with r/r NHL; and BOXR1030 expressing the GOT2 transgene and targeting GPC3+ solid tumor cancers.
Unum’s BOXR1030, the first preclinical product candidate to emerge from the BOXR platform, is composed of a GPC3 targeted CAR and a “bolt-on” enzyme called glutamic-oxaloacetic transaminase 2 (GOT2) that aims to improve T cell function in the solid tumor microenvironment through enhanced metabolism. GOT2 plays a central metabolic role by linking multiple pathways involved in biosynthesis and cellular energy production.
Unum Therapeutics is headquartered in Cambridge, MA.
What are we offering to you?
This is an outstanding opportunity to join a well-funded clinical stage company with a robust pre-clinical and clinical pipeline. You will be joining a Portfolio Management function where your ideas and actions can have a major impact. This individual will lead the program management efforts for one or more Phase 1 clinical studies and pre-clinical stage cellular immuno-oncology projects from candidate selection through IND submission. Additionally, this individual will contribute to growth in our PM/AM function by helping build out new tools, practices, and organizational capabilities across a variety of different areas (organizational effectiveness, project management, and decision-making, etc.)
You will be a vital part of helping to achieve the Unum vision: to transform cancer treatment and deliver patient cures. Unum is a place where your input matters. You will have a direct impact on our portfolio programs and will help build organizational capability. You will also shape the Unum culture and be a part of a passionate, transparent, and collaborative work environment.
What will you be doing?
The successful candidate will be responsible for managing multiple, novel T-cell therapy research program(s) by working with the research project leader to set project objectives, timelines, deliverables and ensure adequate resource allocation. As projects advance towards Development Candidate nomination and pre-IND activities, the PM will work with the cross-functional team to integrate diverse R&D activities such process development, regulatory and clinical. The ideal candidate will be able to manage cross-functional teams to drive operational advancement of the program(s) in alignment with both program strategy and corporate goals. The candidate will play a key role in maintaining highly efficient, effective and collaborative teams.
We are seeking a highly motivated and goal-oriented individual with strong project management, organization and analytical skills to impact Unum’s portfolio programs. The ideal candidate will have a strong scientific background and experience with drug development. Experience in oncology/immuno-oncology and cell therapy is preferred. This role is highly cross-functional and thus the candidate must have a track record of team collaboration and effective organizational communication.
Responsibilities include developing highly integrated program and/or project plans that clearly define work scope and associated timelines, budgets and risk management. You will work closely with the internal cross-functional team to ensure clarity of strategy, to manage specific projects/programs, and to facilitate communication across all stakeholders. You will also provide scenario planning and help make recommendations to maintain or accelerate program/project timelines and communicate the impact analysis on scope, costs and risks.
- Create integrated strategic program/project plans that define the optimal program/project strategy with associated goals, milestones, critical path, timeline, risks, assumptions, alternative scenarios and budget
- Work with the cross-functional team to mobilize and align to drive decision making in governance settings and to execute on the program/project strategy and/or scope.
- Foster strong relationships with team members and functional line managers, and serve as a key point person for program/project team members on all related communications and issue identification and management
- Facilitate focus, direction and motivation of team members, maintaining an atmosphere of trust by leveraging diverse views and encouraging innovative solutions
- Effectively manage team meetings by defining and communicating meeting objectives, capturing and disseminating meeting outcomes/information/action items, and following up on critical actions with teams
- Help to create and improve project/program management tools and best practices, such as manage the team(s) SharePoint site
- This position reports to the Head of Program Leadership and Portfolio Management and will be a valuable leader and contributor to other project initiatives as they arise in our fast-paced, startup environment.
- BS with at least 10+ years or MS/PhD with 5+ years of industry experience as well as 1-3 years of technical project management, matrixed team leadership, and/or program management experience
- MBA and/or advanced scientific degree (MS/PhD) strongly preferred
- Demonstrated project management skills, ability to work independently and successfully in a matrix environment and to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Demonstrates high degrees of capability in analytical thinking, executive functioning, and organizational skills
- Strong scientific background and experience with drug discovery is ideal
- Direct experience in drug development teams, preferably in oncology and/or immunology is highly preferred
- Large molecule or gene/cellular therapy experience is a plus
- Experience with financial analysis, budgeting, and alliance management is a plus
- Sufficient depth of knowledge in contemporary project/program management collaborative and analytic tools and software (MS Project, SmartSheets, Excel, SharePoint, OnePager Pro)
- Excels in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment: enjoys building systems/processes from the ground up, demonstrates lots of flexibility and is able adapt to changes in planning or decision-making easily, and knows how to approach dealing with ambiguous situations that have no clear right answer, path, and/or solution
- Experience developing effective partner relationships and building strong working alliances with internal teams and leadership
- Strong leadership skills with demonstrated passion for creating new medicines, and is able to have an integrated view of scientific and business issues
- Exceptional interpersonal, problem-solving and communication skills such as adapts style and approach to the specific person/situation, influence without authority, and comfortable being assertive
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.