Special Projects Coordinator (Immediate Start - SY 21-22)
- Troy, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (SY 21-22)
Uncommon Schools is a nonprofit network of high-performing, public charter schools providing an outstanding K-12 education in historically under-resourced communities. We have proudly built schools that reflect our student population, with more than 60% of our teachers and staff across our network identifying as a person of color. Uncommon currently manages 55 schools serving more than 21,000 students in six cities: Boston, Camden, New York City, Newark, Rochester, and Troy. We are proud that Uncommon graduates persist in and graduate from college at five times the rate of their peers nationally. We achieve this by offering strong academic, co-curricular, and social-emotional learning that prepares students for success in college and beyond.
Troy Prep currently manages three schools serving students in grades K through 12. We believe in strong authentic relationships between teachers and students, supported by effective school systems and an engaging instructional model that enables students to flourish academically and personally. Troy Prep schools are consistently some of the city’s top-performing, with our graduates going on to attend top tier colleges and universities.
At Uncommon, Special Projects Coordinators (SPCs) drive key logistics and operational support that enable students and teachers alike to flourish. The SPC is the primary owner of various school systems including project and database management, compliance, technology support, and event planning. The SPC will report directly to the school’s Director of Operations (DOO).
As the Special Projects Coordinator:
- You'll support the DOO with managing a multi-million dollar school budget.
- You'll plan, prepare for, and facilitate the logistics for parent-teacher conferences, back to school and awards nights, and staff training.
- You'll order and manage the dispersal of student breakfasts, lunches, and snacks.
- You'll coordinate extra curricular activities, enrichment programs, and field trips.
- You'll maintain technology throughout the building.
- You’ll create and maximize daily and long-term systems for school-wide projects through documentation and internal auditing.
- You’ll communicate with key stakeholders including students, families, and colleagues.
- You’ll assist with state testing compliance and ensure that all government and authorizer grant proposals and reports are completed on time.
- Passionate commitment to the mission of Uncommon Schools and investment in our vision for being an anti-racist organization.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing while demonstrating strong interpersonal skills with teammates, teachers, students, parents, and additional stakeholders.
- Ability to maintain a calm, professional demeanor in the face of competing demands and external pressures.
- Strong digital literacy skills, including database management and Microsoft Office, Word, and Excel.
- Prior project management and/or office-based customer service experience.
- Strong time management skills; ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet tight deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
Uncommon Schools offers wages commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. All staff members receive extensive professional development, and are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building an exceptional team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. We also strive to ensure an inclusive community by creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We also ensure that individuals with disabilities receive all privileges and benefits associated with employment and are provided reasonable accommodations for the interview process and to perform core job functions.