Associate Chief Operating Officer
- Newark, NJ, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Evergreen
We are always looking for excellent school leadership talent. While this is not an immediate opening, we welcome your application to begin the conversation about future opportunities that may arise.
Uncommon Schools is a nonprofit network of high-performing, public charter schools providing an outstanding K-12 education in historically under-resourced communities. We have proudly built schools that reflect our student population, with more than 60% of our teachers and staff across our network identifying as a person of color. Uncommon currently manages 57 schools serving more than 21,000 students in six cities: Boston, Camden, New York City, Newark, Rochester, and Troy. We are proud that Uncommon graduates persist in and graduate from college at five times the rate of their peers nationally. We achieve this by offering strong academic, co-curricular, and social-emotional learning that prepares students for success in college and beyond.
To build more high performing schools, we need senior operations leaders to commit themselves to the most urgent and exciting work of our time! Associate Chief Operating Officers (ACOO) at Uncommon Schools serve as vitally important leaders in our organization and help drive the success of our schools. As ACOO, you will oversee school and regional operations within your region in conjunction with your manager, the Managing Director of Operations (MDO). ACOOs are responsible for ensuring that their schools operate at the highest level, with systems in place that allow teachers and Principals to focus on instruction and academic achievement. The ACOO ensures excellent school operations through direct management of a “portfolio” of Directors of Operations (DOOs), or school leaders who lead all non-instructional aspects of the school.
We are seeking an experienced, strategic operational leader who will set a high bar for school operations and will achieve that vision of excellence by managing and supporting a team of DOOs. The ACOO will build their DOOs’ capacity to run high-functioning, operationally excellent schools. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure DOOs lead outstanding school operations (e.g., daily school systems, facilities, financial management, food & transportation, student & staff culture, enrollment management, etc.)
- Hold DOOs accountable to performance metrics (e.g., Operations Dashboard, Operations Inspections, Mid-Year Evaluations), and support them in improving performance and meeting goals
- Build, implement, and monitor cross-regional operations initiatives (e.g. aligned toolkits for State Testing and School Launch; PD session facilitation and follow-up)
- Support hiring, on-boarding, management, and evaluation of all operations staff, including DOOs and school-based operations teams
Leadership & Collaboration
- Serve as an outstanding role model as a leader and manager, investing deeply in supporting and developing team members and growing their capacity to learn, contribute and engage in the work of the team and organization
- Partner with ACOOs across Uncommon to foster consistent implementation of school operations priorities
- Work seamlessly with Assistant Superintendents to support Principal/DOO co-leader partnerships
- Partner with regional school support team on regional initiatives and systems (e.g. enrollment, child nutrition, government reporting, etc.)
- Serve as the liaison between schools and Home Office teams to strategically identify issues and implement sustainable solutions
- Passionate commitment to the mission of Uncommon Schools and investment in our vision for being an anti-racist organization;
- Significant experience and a track record of success in school operations management;
- Demonstrated experience with effectively managing team members to concrete outcomes;
- Excellent communication and relationship-building skills and ability to work towards a common vision with various partners (e.g. school leaders, regional leaders, Home Office teams, Uncommon families);
- Ability to effectively and strategically prioritize between multiple high-leverage, high-risk issues; outstanding judgment and understanding of the implications of decisions on schools and partners;
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high-change organization;
- Excellent organization, time management, and follow-up skills; ability to demonstrate an appropriate sense of urgency.
- 3-5 years of experience in school operations management;
- Experience managing a team to strong outcomes;
- A Bachelor’s degree is required, and a graduate degree in business or operations is highly preferred
Uncommon Schools offers salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. All staff members receive extensive professional development, and are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building an exceptional team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. We also strive to ensure an inclusive community by creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We also ensure that individuals with disabilities receive all privileges and benefits associated with employment and are provided reasonable accommodations for the interview process and to perform core job functions.