Manager, Data Reporting and Analysis
- New York, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (SY 20-21)
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 55 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
The Manager, Data Reporting and Analysis stewards and manages student and teacher data for state and local reporting and compliance for all Uncommon’s schools in New York State (NYS). This role will work closely with school and regional leaders in New York City, regional operations teams in Rochester and Troy, and central office teams.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Steward the management of local, state and other compliance and data reporting across all of NYS, including:
- Deeply understand local and state reporting requirements for all Uncommon schools in NY;
- Develop systems for data collection, preparation, and validation that focuses on taking work off of school operations teams whenever possible;
- Develop systems to work with regional operations team members in Rochester and Troy to lead their schools’ state reporting.
- Lead local, state, and other external compliance and data reporting for NYS schools, including:
- Connect with local, state, federal, and other systems to report student data, including but not limited to: Regional Information Centers, BOSCES, ATS, TEACH, Teacher Access and Authorization, PD system, the IRS portal, and the Federal Civil Rights Data system;
- Handle data collection and reporting for Charter Renewal and reporting;
- Collaborate with regional and school-based operations teams to craft timelines for data submission to ensure collection, preparation, accuracy, and validation.
- Partner with Uncommon’s central data management team and the Associate Director of Data in Troy and Rochester to streamline the collection and management of student and staff data, including:
- Coordinate with Data/IT team to run the Start of Year and End of Year processes in our internal PowerSchool student data system, including schedule creation and closing out the school year;
- Collect state exam scores;
- Own regional tools used to track staff and student data, including coordination with vendors as needed;
- Ensure school data accuracy by conducting data audits and coordinating with schools, regions, and home office teams to improve systems supporting data accuracy;
- Define and document data collection processes.
- Teacher certification data: Maintain teacher certification records as needed for compliance as well as meeting certification goals.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree a plus;
- At least five years of work experience;
- Strong computer skills, especially with Microsoft Excel;
- Excellent organizational and project management skills;
- Strong customer service approach and communication and interpersonal skills;
- Maturity and ability to work independently;
- Passion for Uncommon's mission;
- A desire to work on a high-performing team and take on additional projects, be creative, and propose new solutions;
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed and take initiative as well as to work collaboratively;
- Quick and effective learner in a fast-paced, dynamic, entrepreneurial environment that proactively seeks feedback to improve;
- Ability to successfully balance multiple projects concurrently.
- Familiarity with PowerSchool or other student data management systems preferred;
- Familiarity with NYC and NY State Data Platforms preferred;
- Prior experience working in schools and/or urban communities is preferred.
Uncommon Schools offers salaries commensurate with experience and a very generous benefits and vacation package. All staff members receive extensive professional development and are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon Schools believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.