Multilingual Learner Coordinator (Immediate Start - SY 21-22)
- Boston, MA, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (SY 21-22)
Uncommon Schools is a nonprofit network of high-performing, public charter schools providing an outstanding K-12 education in historically under-resourced communities. We have proudly built schools that reflect our student population, with more than 60% of our teachers and staff across our network identifying as a person of color. Uncommon currently manages 55 schools serving more than 21,000 students in six cities: Boston, Camden, New York City, Newark, Rochester, and Troy. We are proud that Uncommon graduates persist in and graduate from college at five times the rate of their peers nationally. We achieve this by offering strong academic, co-curricular, and social-emotional learning that prepares students for success in college and beyond.
Roxbury Prep consists of four schools serving students in grades 5 through 12. We believe in strong authentic relationships between teachers and students, supported by effective school systems and an engaging instructional model that enables students to flourish academically and personally. Roxbury Prep students have an impressive 98% college acceptance rate and collectively earned 1.3 million dollars in scholarships last year.
The Multilingual Learner (MLL) Coordinator will help provide and guide instruction for MLL students and teachers at Roxbury Prep. The MLL Coordinator will work closely with the school-based Individual Needs Coordinator, Director and Associate Director of Individual Needs, as well as with teachers and leaders across the network.
- Teaching Newcomer English Learners at ELD levels 1-2 from across the region;
- Design and deliver a rigorous yet supportive language and literacy curriculum to Newcomer English Learners;
- Collaborating with other ESL coordinators, ESL teachers, and content teachers at the campus and across the region for the purpose of developing
- Participating collaboratively in Staff Meetings, and other professional development activities;
- Monitoring breakfast, arrival, dismissal, bathroom duty, lunch, study hall, and/or recess blocks;
- Meeting and speaking with parents/guardians regarding their children’s academic and behavioral performance and progress;
- Ensuring the School’s compliance with Civil Rights regulations, managing and monitoring EL compliance and assessment, and fulfilling English Learner development requirements as needed;
- Fulfilling the expectations outlined in the school’s Teacher Evaluation Rubric;
- Completing school-wide duties (e.g. hallway supervision, participation in field trips, homework center etc.) and other such duties as the leaders may from time to time request commensurate with the Employee’s position.
- Must be ESL certified
Uncommon Schools offers salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. All staff members receive extensive professional development, and are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building an exceptional team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. We also strive to ensure an inclusive community by creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We also ensure that individuals with disabilities receive all privileges and benefits associated with employment and are provided reasonable accommodations for the interview process and to perform core job functions.