Special Assistant to the Chief Schools Officer
- Newark, NJ, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (Home Office)
- HO Team: 9-12 School Management
Uncommon Schools is a nonprofit network of high-performing charter public schools that are closing the academic achievement gap and preparing students from historically underserved communities for success in college and beyond. Uncommon currently manages 55 schools serving more than 20,000 students in six cities: Boston, Camden, New York City, Newark, Rochester, and Troy. Uncommon graduates persist in and graduate from college at rates far higher than their peers. We believe that every child deserves an outstanding education, and we are committed to working beyond the walls of our schools to achieve that goal through our professional development workshops, books, and district partnerships.
The Special Assistant (SA) supports the Chief Schools Officer (CSO), 9-12 and Content Development through various tasks including the administrative responsibilities of the CSO’s office, planning and drafting communications, and project managing a few network-wide initiatives! The SA reports directly to the CSO’s Chief of Staff and works regularly with the Chief Schools Officer’s teams, the Chief of Operations team, and Uncommon Schools’ Home Office Staff. We are looking for a go-getter with self-assurance. The role will provide an outstanding opportunity to see and learn about school management and public charter school operations at the network-wide level! The role will be primarily based in Newark, NJ but will be flexible between Newark and NYC; travel between regions or to retreat locations may be required about 1-2 times monthly.
- Ensure the CSO’s time is maximized, improved, and aligned with the organization’s priorities by seamlessly handling their calendar, arranging meetings, and coordinating all details of travel and creating a comprehensive travel itinerary
- Monitor and deliver daily CSO briefs and weekly calendar to support their schedule, action items, and meeting preparation
- Provide support for the entire team, including credit card reconciliation, reimbursement processing, and administrative duties as needed
- Own and lead both large and smaller meetings by creating presentations, taking minutes, and handling logistics
- Improve current operations and processes efficiently allocate resources and time
Program and Systems Management
- Handle partners on projects laterally and above including partnering across multiple leaders, teams, and regions for project execution
- Create and maintain strategic trackers and metrics to ensure progress on high level work towards goals and landmarks.
- Project manage and operationalize a few organization-wide initiatives per year; activities include building out the project plan, owning implementation, and supervising budget and execution
- Manage and Implement the CSO’s communication plan which includes preparing and supporting cultural messages to key leaders at the organization
- Manage CSO’s external speaking events including logistics, drafting speeches and presentations, and preparing the CSO for the events
- Support in shaping a joyful staff culture within the CSO’s teams and/or school and Home Office leaders
- Bachelor’s degree
- Dedication to Uncommon’s Mission
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, particularly a skillset in inspirational communications preferred
- Exceptional organizational skills that reflect an ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly and fastidiously all the way to completion
- Finds joy in figuring out how the pieces of the puzzle come together in sophisticated situations
- Strong growth mentality with ability to self-reflect and take initiative towards growth
- High level of flexibility; Able to reprioritize and pivot quickly
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and remain detail oriented to advance work
- Strong interpersonal skills; Able to build relationships with multiple partners and teams
- Highly resourceful and problem-solving team-player with the ability to also work independently
- Ability to continue to innovate and refine systems to best support the CSO and their office
- MS Suite (Outlook, Word, Power Point, Excel)
Uncommon Schools offers salaries commensurate with experience and a very generous benefits and vacation package. All staff members receive extensive professional development, and are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.