Special Education Paraprofessional (Immediate Start - SY 20-21)
- Boston, MA, USA
- Hiring Start Time: August 2021 Start
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 55 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
The Paraprofessional plays a central role in building an academic and cultural environment which supports our goal to prepare every Roxbury Prep student for success in college. In this role, the Paraprofessional works with teachers and the special education team to ensure that students with individual education plans receive the specialized attention that they need. The Paraprofessional works both collaboratively and individually to promote a positive, structured, achievement-oriented, and fun school culture.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to)
- Work with students one-on-one or small groups under the supervision of a certified teacher
- Ensure that all students work at their fullest potential
- Observe and document student progress in support of their individual education plan
- Assist with preparation, completion and submission of student-related paperwork
- Implement the Roxbury Prep Academy curriculum, systems and philosophy daily
- Attend school daily, with the exceptions of school-related holidays and vacations (as noted in the annual school calendar)
- Participate in coaching and professional development to improve instructional practice, especially as it relates to discipline, student relationships and school culture
- History of personal achievement
- Upbeat, positive, outgoing, and personable
- Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team
- Must enjoy contact with children and parents
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint
- Prior experience working in schools and/or urban communities preferred
- Strong desire to become a teacher
- Belief in the Roxbury Prep mission and educational model
- Spanish or Portuguese language skills a plus but not required
- Bachelor’s degree required
Uncommon Schools offers wages commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.