Associate, Regional School Support
- Newark, NJ, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (SY 20-21)
Uncommon Schools is a nonprofit network of high-performing charter public schools that are closing the academic achievement gap and preparing students from historically underserved communities for success in college and beyond. Uncommon currently manages 55 schools serving more than 20,000 students in six cities: Boston, Camden, New York City, Newark, Rochester, and Troy. Uncommon graduates persist in and graduate from college at rates far higher than their peers. We believe that every child deserves an outstanding education, and we are committed to working beyond the walls of our schools to achieve that goal through our professional development workshops, books, and district partnerships.
About the Role
The Associate, Regional School Support is a key member of the regional operations team. The Associate’s primary role is to directly deliver services for schools and students that can most effectively be performed at the regional level. The Associate, Regional School Support will also be responsible for the management of the regional team office space and facility at 18 Washington Place. The position will report to the Newark Director of School Support, and will work closely with school and regional leaders in Newark, members of school support teams in other Uncommon regions, as well members of Uncommon’s home office teams.
· School Support: deliver services for schools and students that can most effectively be performed at the regional level, including:
o Organizing and managing transportation logistics for students
o Managing all contracts for operations items (e.g., photocopy leases, uniforms, office supplies), including vendor selection, contract bidding, and documenting regional and school-specific contracts
o Manage food service contract in the region
o Serve as the “point person” for the internal Curriculum and Assessment team in the region – adjust logistics and schedules to NJ’s needs for IAs and SGI, and provide operations support for region-wide scoring days and professional development
o Providing coordinating and logistical support for state and federal testing, including exam coordination and scoring
· Manage the regional team offices at 18 Washington place including:
o Create and manage space reservations system for the region for both 18 Wash and school spaces (if needed)
o Building and implementing building management processes
o Executing visual culture plan
o Managing regional office day to day including technology and general office and facilities management
· Regional Management:
o Maintain the school/regional shared drive or other document management system (“Ops Playbook”) to ensure all regional materials are appropriately documented, maintained, and made accessible to appropriate audiences; identifying systems lacking adequate or strong documentation and strengthening quality of existing/new documentation
o Develop and manage the regional operations team budget
· Additional duties and projects as needed and assigned in support of Newark schools
- Bachelor’s Degree required;
- At least three years of work experience;
- Excellent organizational and project management skills;
- Strong customer service approach and communication skills;
- Passion for the mission of closing the achievement gap;
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Displays maturity, flexibility, comfort with ambiguity and a sense of humor;
- A desire to work on a high-performing team and take on additional projects, be creative, and propose new solutions;
- High sense of urgency; demonstrated ability to successfully handle multiple projects concurrently; and
- Quick and effective learner in a fast-paced, dynamic, entrepreneurial environment that proactively seeks feedback to improve
Uncommon Schools offers salaries commensurate with experience and a very generous benefits and vacation package. All staff members receive extensive professional development, and are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.