Senior Director of HR Operations
- New York, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (Home Office)
- HO Team: Human Resources
Uncommon Schools is a nonprofit network of high-performing charter public schools that are closing the academic achievement gap and preparing students from historically underserved communities for success in college and beyond. Uncommon currently manages 55 schools serving more than 20,000 students in six cities: Boston, Camden, New York City, Newark, Rochester, and Troy. Uncommon graduates persist in and graduate from college at rates far higher than their peers. We believe that every child deserves an outstanding education, and we are committed to working beyond the walls of our schools to achieve that goal through our professional development workshops, books, and district partnerships.
The Senior Director of HR Operations will lead the Human Resources team. This team provides support to 2,600+ staff members across our six regions and the Home Office (HO)! Working in close collaboration with regional leaders, school leaders and HO managers, the team provides high-quality HR operations and support services as part of Uncommon’s overall investment in our people. This role will be a results-oriented leader, with a people and systems focus who will refine the strategic direction for the team, will improve processes using our new HRIS system, Workday, Develop and upskill our HR team, and build positive relationships with school, regional, and HO leaders!
- Redefining the HR Team as we improve HR processes and systems via Workday and moving the team to a strategic talent function with strong communication and support for a growing, multi-site organization.
- Partnering with senior leaders and the Head of Talent to identify, prioritize, and implement key people initiatives that will support and drive org-wide efforts an outstanding employee experience.
- Crafting and continuously improving systems and processes to maximize efficiency and efficacy, while supporting compliance across key HR workstreams.
- Collaborating with other teams to ensure collection, accuracy, and access for key people data across the organization: empowering leaders to make evidence-based people decisions.
- Staying abreast of changes to local/state/federal laws (across all 6 Uncommon regions) that may impact or require changes to personnel policies and internal processes.
- Serving as an exceptional role model, leader, and manager - investing deeply in supporting and developing HR team members and growing their capacity to learn, contribute, and engage in the work of the organization.
- Sit on Uncommon Schools' Team Lead Cohort - a group of senior leaders responsible for cultural leadership in Uncommon's Home Office who establish norms, behaviors, and actions required to ensure HO teams serve as centers of excellence in service of our schools and mission
- Passion for and experience seeing ground-breaking change in a team or area of work.
- Exceptional analytical and critical thinking skills that lead to systems thinking and problem-solving
- Strong focus on employee experience and an ability to work and communicate effectively and compassionately to a wide range of constituents
- Ability to project manage and strong organization and follow-up skills.
- Strong people leadership skills with evidence of hiring, engaging, and developing a team proven that has effective over time.
- Deep commitment to self-reflection and continued growth
- Outstanding judgment, sensitivity and high discretion
- Thrives in evolving, fast-paced, high-change, multifaceted organizations
- Will require some regional travel (10%)
- Bachelor’s degree required; masters is a plus
- 7 to 10 years of proven experience in administrative management of HR operations or HRIS Systems, or in an operations role with a strong people-focus
- Experience scaling operations and/or providing HR support to multi-site organizations.
- 3-5 years as a team manager, with proven track record for training and developing staff that eager for learning and growth
- Knowledge of federal and state (NY, NJ, and/or MA) regulations related to administration of HR operations & data systems
- Professional Human Resources Certification (SHRM-SCP or SPHR) and/or experience leading operations in K-12 setting are both positive, but not required
Uncommon Schools offers salaries commensurate with experience and a very generous benefits and vacation package. All staff members receive extensive professional development, and are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.