Receptionist (SY 21-22)
- Newark, NJ, USA
- Hiring Start Time: August 2021 Start
Uncommon Schools is a nonprofit network of high-performing, public charter schools providing an outstanding K-12 education in historically under-resourced communities. We have proudly built schools that reflect our student population, with more than 60% of our teachers and staff across our network identifying as a person of color. Uncommon currently manages 55 schools serving more than 21,000 students in six cities: Boston, Camden, New York City, Newark, Rochester, and Troy. We are proud that Uncommon graduates persist in and graduate from college at five times the rate of their peers nationally. We achieve this by offering strong academic, co-curricular, and social-emotional learning that prepares students for success in college and beyond.
North Star Academy currently manages fourteen schools serving students in grades K through 12. We believe in strong authentic relationships between teachers and students, supported by effective school systems and an engaging instructional model that enables students to flourish academically and personally. North Star Academy is NJ's #1 highest performing public charter school and has served Newark families for over 20 years.
At Uncommon, the Receptionist plays a vital role in ensuring clear and effective communications with all community members and stakeholders. This includes fielding inquiries as the initial contact person for students, teachers, families, vendors, and visitors. As a member of the school-based operations team, the Receptionist will utilize customer service to support with key administrative and operations tasks.
As the Receptionist:
- You'll serve as the primary point of contact for all inquiries including managing phone calls, messages, and in-person visitors.
- You'll greet and document all visitors (signing in visitors, ensuring that students only leave with authorized parents/guardians, supervising access to the school, etc.).
- You'll create and maintain systems around incoming student information, fees, personnel paperwork, and school information.
- You'll support school events and activities as needed (making photocopies, setting up for special events, making phone calls to confirm attendance, etc.).
- You'll organize all school mail (distributing received mail, preparing school mailings, etc.).
- You'll create and maintain a welcoming environment in the reception area.
- Passionate commitment to the mission of Uncommon Schools and investment in our vision for being an anti-racist organization.
- 1-3 years of customer service or school administrative office experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others; strong interpersonal skills with students, parents, colleagues and community members.
- Ability to maintain a calm, solutions-oriented perspective in the face of competing demands and external pressures.
- Ability to take initiative, prioritize tasks, and work independently.
- Demonstrated flexibility, maturity and ability to juggle competing priorities.
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
Uncommon Schools offers wages commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. All staff members receive extensive professional development, and are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building an exceptional team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. We also strive to ensure an inclusive community by creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We also ensure that individuals with disabilities receive all privileges and benefits associated with employment and are provided reasonable accommodations for the interview process and to perform core job functions.