Human Resources Coordinator
- New York, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (Home Office)
- HO Team: Human Resources
Uncommon Schools is a nonprofit network of high-performing charter public schools that are closing the academic achievement gap and preparing students from historically underserved communities for success in college and beyond. Uncommon currently manages 55 schools serving more than 20,000 students in six cities: Boston, Camden, New York City, Newark, Rochester, and Troy. Uncommon graduates persist in and graduate from college at rates far higher than their peers. We believe that every child deserves an outstanding education, and we are committed to working beyond the walls of our schools to achieve that goal through our professional development workshops, books, and district partnerships.
Summary of Role
Uncommon’s Human Resources team is embarking on a multi-year initiative to rebuild how our functional teams work together in partnership with our schools! We are seeking an autonomous, service-focused teammate to join our Human Resources operations team and support the administration of our HR policies, procedures, and programs! Day-to-day operations include employee support, policy implementation, payroll support meeting management, and other related tasks.
Employee and Team Support
- Provides daily HR support to our employees and managers promptly and optimally, using customer service ticketing systems (Zendesk), knowledge management tools, and other resources. Support issues can include support with their HR profiles, employment verifications, and benefits
- Assists HR team leaders with planning and rollout of HR programs and initiatives.
- Handles calendars, hosts and supports weekly team meetings.
- Compiles and distributes weekly communications to school-based leaders and HR team
- Supports Associate Directors (ADs), Home Office (HO) teams and school based leaders with aspects of time and attendance management and payroll processing.
- Supports ADs with effective onboarding and off-boarding, and transferring of all employees including I-9 compliance, contract issuance, invoice processing, ensuring all staff receive vital onboarding documents and exit survey distribution.
Workforce Data and Analysis
- Executes requests for data and delivers appropriate analysis of significant HR data
- Compiles information for routine reporting and analysis (e.g. wage/salary analysis, retention, state/federal reporting, etc).
- Communicates data on an established schedule to partners
Required Skills & Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, with proven ability to speak and write clearly, persuasively and compassionately.
- Strong focus on clients and the ability to establish partnerships and work collaboratively with school leaders and other Home Office teams
- Excellent organization, time management, and follow-up skills; ability to prioritize
- Fast implementation of feedback from multiple partners
- Thrives in evolving, fast-paced, high-change, multifaceted organizations; takes a proactive approach to their work
- Outstanding judgment, sensitivity, and high discretion
- Fast learner with proven attention to detail
- Eagerness to involve in problem solving; For immediate customer oriented solutions and root causes or process or system adjustments
- Exhibits a ‘can-do’/flexible approach to work
Preferred Skills & Abilities
- Interest or experience in Human Resources/Talent fields
- Interest in and alignment with Uncommon’s mission
- Prior experience working in schools and/or urban communities a plus
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and PowerPoint, Office, Google Suite, Zoom
- Knowledge of Excel including compiling, analyzing, and interpreting data to identify trends or spot errors.
- Experience working HRIS systems (especially Workday), preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 1-2 years professional work experience required
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- This role is based out of Uncommon Schools New York City office and is currently mostly remote. Candidates should be local and anticipate a return to in-person work later this Fall (2021).
Uncommon Schools offers salaries commensurate with experience and a very generous benefits and vacation package. All staff members receive extensive professional development, and are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.