- New York, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (Home Office)
- HO Team: Marketing
Uncommon Schools is a nonprofit network of high-performing charter public schools that are closing the academic achievement gap and preparing students from historically underserved communities for success in college and beyond. Uncommon currently manages 55 schools serving more than 20,000 students in six cities: Boston, Camden, New York City, Newark, Rochester, and Troy. Uncommon graduates persist in and graduate from college at rates far higher than their peers. We believe that every child deserves an outstanding education, and we are committed to working beyond the walls of our schools to achieve that goal through our professional development workshops, books, and district partnerships.
Summary of Role
This role is responsible for leading Marketing’s internal and external communications work and strategy! This individual will support the plan and execution for how Uncommon can build brand and community through major channels such as social media, website, leadership communications and other meaningful mediums. The role will both supervise and compose brand content to develop stronger, impactful messaging to support partners throughout the network from the Executive Team to Enrollment and Recruitment functions! Additionally, the person will serve as a subject matter authority, partner and consultant for communications planning for high profile campaigns or initiatives both within and without the department. Role manages the Associate Director of Marketing.
Core Duties & Responsibilities
- Build Uncommon’s brand communication strategies across major external channels of social, website, email and other emerging avenues.
- Build and own org-wide communications calendar along with processes for its ongoing communication, updating and sourcing.
- Serve as consultant for major communication initiatives for leadership and network partners.
- Partner with functional partners to support and align communication strategy and build campaigns to amplify across channels.
- Serve as lead content creator and specialist for brand and messaging content needs.
- Support the development of meaningful messaging for high-impact brand elements.
- Write and build branded content for a myriad of communications across Marketing’s prioritized work, core channels and specific mediums including anything from presentations and ads to emails and newsletters.
- Serve as content creator and support for select executive team communications and network addresses.
- Lead all aspects of content quality and provide thought partnership to AD Marketing on building effective brand storytelling and communications.
Core Channel Oversight
- Social Media
- Lead all aspects of Uncommon social media including brand content planning, growth strategy and the ongoing integration of meaningful network information.
- Serve as social media consultant to support regional partners to optimally lead and build online communities.
- Build standard methodologies, processes, and guidelines that improve network’s ability to deliver content and engage.
- Guide website platform to communicate optimally and ensure content and user experience are fresh, engaging, and accurate for network, regional and schools.
- Establish improvement and capability enhancement plan to continuously adapt to changing partner needs.
- External & Internal Emails
- Lead the planning and execution of major email workstreams for our external and internal network audiences.
- Lead all aspects of email content strategy and content calendar.
- Ensure email platform is handled and organized so partners can easily use, build and handle assets.
Required Skills & Abilities
- Exceptional writing skills: Ability to use and define a brand voice, ability to tell human-interest and create engaging content, excellent editing and proofreading abilities.
- Knowledge of social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.) and how each can be used to engage audiences.
- Ability to formulate strategy as well as pivot to execution and day-to-day operation.
- Resourceful able to independently prioritize shifting workloads in a dynamic, constantly evolving environment.
- Self-motivated and able to multi-task in a multifaceted environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong time management and attention to detail skills.
- Strong organization and process skills.
Preferred Skills & Abilities
- Experience with website management and CMS platforms or tools.
- Experience with email platforms or tools.
- Experience with social media aggregator or monitoring software.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite.
- BA in Communications, Marketing, Journalism or other relevant field required
- MBA preferred
- 4-5+ years prior work experience in communications, branding or marketing.
Uncommon Schools offers salaries commensurate with experience and a very generous benefits and vacation package. All staff members receive extensive professional development, and are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.