- New York, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (Home Office)
- HO Team: Accounting
Uncommon Schools is a nonprofit network of high-performing charter public schools that are closing the academic achievement gap and preparing students from historically underserved communities for success in college and beyond. Uncommon currently manages 55 schools serving more than 20,000 students in six cities: Boston, Camden, New York City, Newark, Rochester, and Troy. Uncommon graduates persist in and graduate from college at rates far higher than their peers. We believe that every child deserves an outstanding education, and we are committed to working beyond the walls of our schools to achieve that goal through our professional development workshops, books, and district partnerships.
GENERAL SUMMARY: The Accounting Coordinator will support the Director of Accounting on all aspects of bookkeeping/accounting functions including, but not limited to supporting the Schools/Home Office throughout the year, annual audit process and working closely with the Finance team! They will work closely with the members of the team to assist with team initiatives, projects, and reporting!
Core duties & responsibilities:
Implements bookkeeping and accounting functions for Uncommon Schools and its subsidiaries and schools:
- Daily processing of check and ACH payments
- Assist in bank reconciliations
- Daily fraud protection upload and verification
- Investigates and reconciles open accounts payables
- Prepare for audit
- Assist in meticulous quality control on all accounting records and documents
- Implements and maintains our fiscal policies and procedures
REQUIRED SKILLS and ABILITIES
- Understanding of accounting principles
- Experience with accounting software programs (Work Day a plus)
- Skilled in taking care of financial and numeric data
- Experience in bookkeeping for a multi-site organization preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Attention to detail and follow-through
- Excellent organization, time management, and follow-up skills
- Ability to work well on a team
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment; flexible, able to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed
Associate Degree in Accounting or related area
- Minimum 1 year of experience in a non-profit or for profit organization with multiple locations.
Uncommon Schools offers salaries commensurate with experience and a very generous benefits and vacation package. All staff members receive extensive professional development, and are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.