- Rochester, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Evergreen
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 55 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
We are always looking for excellent school leadership talent. While this is not an immediate opening, we welcome your application to begin the conversation about future opportunities that may arise.
To build more high performing schools, we need senior instructional leaders to commit themselves to the most urgent and exciting work of our time! Assistant Superintendents at Uncommon Schools serve as vitally important leaders in our organization and help drive the success of our schools and principals. They oversee instructional and academic programs for groups of schools within the Uncommon Schools network and are accountable for developing principals and the student success and achievement within their schools.
As an Assistant Superintendent at Uncommon Schools, you will oversee instruction and manage and support a group of Principals. The Assistant Superintendent is a full-time employee, hired, supported, and, evaluated by the Chief Schools Officer. Your responsibilities will include the following:
Management of Academic Program:
- Using data and daily observations, partner with Principals to constantly evaluate and improve instruction, teacher training, curriculum implementation, assessments, and other aspects of schools' academic programs and culture;
- Partner with Principals to build a positive culture with staff, students, and families;
- Support Principals to plan and implement summer and school-year training and professional development for teachers;
- Support Principals to oversee hiring of teachers and other school staff.
Management and Development of Principals and Instructional Leaders:
- Provide frequent, informal feedback to Principals and conduct an annual formal evaluation;
- Plan and implement training for Principal Fellows and all network instructional leaders;
- Recruit for and participate in Principal and instructional interview process;
- Support, develop, and execute Principal professional development across regions;
- Build personal and professional network to cultivate future instructional and leadership talent at Uncommon.
Management of Regional and Organization-wide Instruction:
- Build a “one mission” culture for schools through Principal meetings and communications;
- Ensure assessments, reports, and other data needs are managed and implemented by instructional leaders and school-based operations staff;
- Research and identify best practices from own network and other organizations and help disseminate those practices effectively to others.
Execution of Uncommon’s Mission and Vision:
- Partner with the Associate Chief Operating Officer and other Uncommon leaders to support operational and compliance needs for the region and schools and to develop regional initiatives;
- Help foster relationships with regional Boards of Trustees;
- Partner with the Home Office to meet organizational needs, including development, marketing, and recruitment;
- Serve as a member of Uncommon’s Leadership Team;
- Monitor and support schools in meeting the needs of special education students and work with internal and external partners to deliver high quality, cost-effective services for students.
- Passionate commitment to the mission of Uncommon Schools and investment in our vision as an anti-racist organization;
- Relentless dedication to improve the minds, characters, and lives of students both in and out of school;
- Track record of leading students and staff to outstanding results;
- An adept problem-solver with a demonstrated ability to think critically, plan strategically, as well as research and perform detailed data analysis;
- Skilled in written and oral communication to diverse audiences and facilitating decision-making among multiple parties;
- Proactive and fast learner who thrives in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to provide high leverage feedback via classroom observations and school walk-throughs;
- Grit, personal responsibility, and a commitment to continual professional growth;
- Strong organizational skills, careful attention to detail and follow-through.
- Experience as a school principal in a high-performing urban public school is required;
- A Bachelor’s degree is required, and a graduate degree in education, public policy, or related field is strongly preferred.
Uncommon Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.