- Troy, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Evergreen
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 55 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
We are always looking for excellent school leadership talent. While this is not an immediate opening, we welcome your application to begin the conversation about future opportunities that may arise.
To build more high performing schools, we need leaders to commit themselves to the most urgent and exciting work of our time! Running outstanding schools requires leaders who can inspire students, put excellence ahead of easy, and project urgency about providing our scholars with college access. Our leaders make decisions, conduct difficult conversations, and build highly collaborative teams, all while shaping a vibrant school culture. These individuals nurture learning communities that are simultaneously academically rigorous and joyful. They know that their job is the most important one in the world. Self-reflective and humble, they are open to feedback and committed to continuously improving.
Uncommon Schools is seeking a School Principal to co-lead alongside a Director of Operations. The School Principal is a full-time employee, hired, supported, and evaluated by the Assistant Superintendent. At Uncommon, our School Principals are deeply committed to and lead their schools in instructional leadership; teacher coaching and evaluation; school culture, and family engagement:
- Provide exemplary leadership to all school community members to achieve outstanding performance in preparing each student for college;
- Demonstrate a relentless commitment to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of school;
- Develop and communicate strategic school systems, culture, and vision, and build a plan to achieve that vision;
- Implement effective assessment systems and use data to inform decisions;
- Lead all aspects of curriculum development and assessment and ensure consistency within the school program and alignment with state and other rigorous standards.
Teacher Coaching & Evaluation
- Conduct daily teacher observations and provide real-time feedback to move the needle on student achievement;
- Oversee faculty and staff, including recruitment, evaluation, retention, and dismissal and hold primary responsibility for professional development, staff observations, curriculum development, staff communication, and program decisions;
- Lead faculty to ensure that all staff are providing well-managed and rigorous daily lessons, reasonable and effective daily homework, and regular and productive afterschool tutoring;
- Foster commitment among staff to the development and fulfillment of the school’s mission and objectives;
- Hold teachers accountable for meeting a high bar for student performance including requirements for special education accommodations and IEP modifications in partnership with the Special Education Coordinator.
- Build a joyful and rigorous school culture;
- Foster consistency in academic and behavioral expectations;
- Collaborate with school staff to support students’ academic and socio-emotional development;
- Ensure that traditions and rituals that support the school’s college mission are built and maintained, grade by grade, year to year;
- Support staff to ensure the smooth administration and effectiveness of after school enrichment programs.
- Communicate regularly with families, ensuring they are kept involved with and held accountable for their children’s performance, and correspond about school policies, trips, and events;
- Respond to family concerns promptly and effectively.
- Passionate commitment to the mission of Uncommon Schools and investment in our vision as an anti-racist organization;
- Relentless dedication to improve the minds, characters, and lives of students both in and out of school;
- Strong record of driving outstanding student results;
- Strong data analysis skills;
- Interest in and passion for supporting teacher growth;
- Ability to provide high leverage feedback via classroom observations;
- Grit, personal responsibility, and a commitment to continual professional growth;
- Strong communications skills with multiple stakeholders including teachers, students, families, and colleagues;
- Strong organizational skills, careful attention to detail and follow-through.
- At least 3 years of teaching experience;
- At least 1 year of experience as an instructional leader, Assistant Principal, Dean or equivalent leadership role at a high-performing urban public school;
- A Bachelor's degree;
- Experience at a high-performing charter school highly preferred.
Uncommon Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.