Senior System Manager, Workday
- New York, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (Home Office)
- HO Team: Information Technology and Data Management
Uncommon Schools is a nonprofit network of high-performing charter public schools that are closing the academic achievement gap and preparing students from historically underserved communities for success in college and beyond. Uncommon currently manages 55 schools serving more than 20,000 students in six cities: Boston, Camden, New York City, Newark, Rochester, and Troy. Uncommon graduates persist in and graduate from college at rates far higher than their peers. We believe that every child deserves an outstanding education, and we are committed to working beyond the walls of our schools to achieve that goal through our professional development workshops, books, and district partnerships.
Uncommon’s Data & IT (D&IT) team is undergoing an exciting transformation to improve technology operations and systems! We are seeking a skilled Sr. System Manager (Manager) with experience in large-scale Workday system implementations, ongoing management of Workday, and management of data housed in the system. This role will act as a domain specialist on our ERP projects and collaborate with all levels of the Talent, Accounting, Finance, IT, and school-based teams and will be responsible for the planning, prioritization, and execution of the roadmap for Workday!
Core Duties & Responsibilities
- This position directly manages up to 4 employees across multiple levels
- The Manager supervises and ensures that the function of system management is efficiently and effectively executed across Uncommon.
- Provide a clear vision and objectives for the System Management Team and its role within Uncommon.
- Oversight: Guide and review team member work product (e.g. product roadmaps, product documentation, product backlogs, change requests).
- Professional Development: Support the team members individual growth within Uncommon and the K-12 Data and technology space
- Lead problem-solving for the team: identify trends and gap within our systems and lead ongoing efforts for process and system improvements that make progress toward the long-term vision of IT at Uncommon.
- Train team members in System Management and IT standard methodologies.
- Review and prioritize proposals submitted by System Managers and Analysts
System Management Leadership
- Provides technical leadership and direction for enterprise systems management team
- Leads the implementation of the Workday system that includes Financials, EPM, Procurement, and HCM.
- Lead and coordinate deployment activities with Information Technology teams and business areas and/or service providers, to ensure system compatibility and cross-department requirements are met
- Create and implement standard methodologies around the support and life-cycle management including policies, processes, and procedures
- Assist in preparation of presentations to the senior leadership in the organization
- Collaborate with System Managers to design and maintain a technology ecosystem that takes full advantage of the features available in Workday and collectively follow the IT change request process
- Lead future implementation and maintenance of Workday solutions according to needs
- Act as the authority on Workday functionality and system design
- Work closely with Talent, Finance, and Operations team leaders to identify and implement methods for improving current processes, promoting process standardization, efficiency, and standard methodologies within the bounds of the system.
- Handle the software update process (test updates, communicate the impact of changes, update documentation and processes)
- Responsible for application integration with 3rd parties' applications, including reporting/business intelligence systems, and payroll.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest technology and software for integration to improve processes and user interaction with Workday
- Propose system design/enhancements based on problems and product requirements
- Identify standard methodologies and process improvements, and ensure these are being used and documented
- Work directly with other teammates to support, drive, and coordinate larger (more sophisticated) Workday projects
- Understand overall internal processes and systems and how they are interdependent
- Participate in project configuration sessions
- Provide documentation/visibility into key aspects of projects (e.g. progress, achievements, etc.) for senior leadership and other partners
- Participate in weekly meetings to discuss progress and issues to be resolved
- Works with IT Operations leaders and architects to ensure the integrity and acceptable architecture and performance of the systems.
- Maintain the current systems infrastructure and lead the ongoing implementation and maintenance of ERP system solutions based on strategic and functional needs.
- Management of the overall systems design, architecture, deployment, support, and life-cycle management activities, methodology, and processes.
- Collaborate with IT team members to ensure processes are in place to achieve unified technical architecture and technology across all systems and regions.
- Actively engages with technical architects to guarantee the system is designed to meet strategic architecture requirements, functional flexibility, connectivity and supports efficient growth of the business.
- Contract & Payment: Lead renewal and payment of the yearly contract
- Establish and manage relationship with the vendor, act as a liaison between vendor and Uncommon on any projects, and own school-level issues & difficult conversations.
- Partner concerns: Work with Director to handle vendor issues
- Partner with both internal team members and the vendor to ensure that all data is maintained in a manner that stays in sync with both industry standards and relevant laws or regulations in regard to data security and privacy.
Required Skills & Abilities
- Exposure to and understanding of CRM and its integration with ERP systems
- Demonstrated experience developing solutions architecture
- Excellent project management skills, that includes effectively deploying resources and running multiple projects of diverse scope in a multi-functional environment,
- Experience balancing detailed thinking with big picture strategic decisions demonstrated through the ability to break down sophisticated projects into key achievements and concrete action steps
- Strong data analysis skills and strategic decision-making
- Comfort diving into various content areas to problem solve and identify strategic next steps
- Demonstrated ability to diagnose issues, identify root causes, and implement effective solutions
- Ability to find and prioritize critical-path activities, making assumptions and contingencies for potential risks into account
- Maturity, flexibility, comfort with ambiguity, and a sense of optimism in the face of opposing demands and external pressures
- Strong organizational systems for both self and others to ensure accountability for timely, high-quality outcomes
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with a diverse set of audiences
- Action-orientation with excellent follow-through skills; works well independently and in teams in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- A willingness to take ownership of an issue, and drive it to resolution.
- Experience solving problems and resolving sophisticated Workday issues.
- Experience working with operations teams to improve efficiency, accuracy, and controls of business workflows.
- Experience with other ERP or workflow systems is helpful in order to act as a thought partner and offer coverage for System Managers (e.g. HRIS)
- A fast learner, focused on details, conclusive, and enjoys a fast-paced work environment
- Able to translate business needs into detailed requirements and solutions that allow Workday capabilities and functionality to drive efficiencies and process maturity
- Experience in data management/data migration from legacy systems
Preferred Skills & Abilities
- Experience with Agile project management
- Proficient in the use of Workday APIs for purposes of integration with other applications
- Experience with SDLC methodology
- Bachelor's Degree required (Computer Science, Information Systems, Business, or equivalent subject preferred)
- Certificate or coursework in IT System Management or Workday preferred
- 5 to 7 years of working experience leading sophisticated, medium to large scale ERP systems projects with a business and technology focus
- 7 plus years of a proven track record in an enterprise systems management role
- 7 plus years of extensive design, implementation and management experience with ERP systems. Thorough understanding of the ERP functional and technical landscapes, that includes the integration of Financials with other areas of the enterprise
- 4 plus years managing technical staff of 3 or more
- 3 plus years Workday HCM and Financials system management experience
- Experience setting enterprise-level KPIs, OKRs, or Goals and achieving them
- Prior experience working in schools and/or urban communities (preferred)
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Working on a computer involving video and audio
Uncommon Schools offers salaries commensurate with experience and a very generous benefits and vacation package. All staff members receive extensive professional development, and are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.