- New York, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (Home Office)
- HO Team: Accounting
Uncommon Schools is a nonprofit network of high-performing charter public schools that are closing the academic achievement gap and preparing students from historically underserved communities for success in college and beyond. Uncommon currently manages 55 schools serving more than 20,000 students in six cities: Boston, Camden, New York City, Newark, Rochester, and Troy. Uncommon graduates persist in and graduate from college at rates far higher than their peers. We believe that every child deserves an outstanding education, and we are committed to working beyond the walls of our schools to achieve that goal through our professional development workshops, books, and district partnerships.
GENERAL SUMMARY: The Uncommon Accounting team is based in New York City and provides support to 2,500+ staff members across 55 schools and the Home Office (HO). Working in close collaboration with regional and school leaders, as well as HO managers, the team provides high-quality Accounting services. The team works closely with Uncommon’s other teams including Human Resources and Finance. To learn more about Uncommon click here uncommonschools.org/our-schools/uncommon-cities.
The Staff Accountant will support the Senior Director of Accounting on all aspects of accounting functions including, but not limited to, supporting the accounts payable/receivable functions of schools/Home Office, preparing materials for the annual audit process, and working closely with the Finance team! They will work closely with the members of the team to guarantee accurate recording of the financial operations of the organization and assist with projects, as needed,
Crucial duties & responsibilities:
- Lead accounting functions for a group of schools within the Uncommon Schools organization
- Maintain financial record keeping and reporting systems
- Process payroll, receivables, payables, cash receipts, and cash disbursements
- Ensure accurate recording of transactions in the general ledger and make adjusting entries as needed
- Produce monthly financial statements including balance sheets, profit/loss statements, and transaction reports
- Prepare and post journal entries including monthly and yearly closing entries
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations and follow up on unusual items
- Perform monthly ledger closing and reconcile ledger accounts
- Prepare and file tax forms (990’s, 1099’s)
- Prepare accounting records and work papers for the annual audit
- Maintain fixed asset and associated depreciation schedules
- Maintain monthly rent and lease schedules and update on an annual basis or as needed per contracted terms
- Maintain and carry out Uncommon’s fiscal policies and procedures and other internal guidelines
- Conduct research required for strategic team initiatives, special projects, and other special requests
- Perform various accounting, administrative, and other related duties as assigned and required by the role
Reports to Senior Associate Director of Accounting and works closely with the Accounting and Financial Management teams; interacts with Home Office personnel and school-based teams.
Required Knowledge, skills & abilities:
- In-depth understanding of accounting principles
- Strong ability to read, understand and identify issues in financial statements
- Experience with accounting and payroll systems (MIP, Work Day, ADP)
- Experience working in a multi-site organization preferred
- Skilled in the use of MS Excel
- MS Office Suite experience
- Strong communication skills; written and verbal
- Focused, keen attention to detail and follow-through
- Strong organization, time management, and work prioritization skills
- Ability to understand existing and build and maintain new systems that improve efficiency
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to collaborate and participate in team initiatives and projects
- Ability to work autonomously, as well as take direction as needed
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment;
- Undergraduate Degree in Accounting or related area
- Minimum 2-3 years of accounting experience (non-profit organization a plus)
- Knowledge of accounting for real estate transactions helpful, but not required
- Experience in K-12 public education preferred.
Uncommon Schools offers salaries commensurate with experience and a very generous benefits and vacation package. All staff members receive extensive professional development, and are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.