Special Assistant to the President
- New York, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (Home Office)
- HO Team: President's Team
Uncommon Schools is a nonprofit network of high-performing charter public schools that are closing the academic achievement gap and preparing students from historically underserved communities for success in college and beyond. Uncommon currently manages 55 schools serving more than 20,000 students in six cities: Boston, Camden, New York City, Newark, Rochester, and Troy. Uncommon graduates persist in and graduate from college at rates far higher than their peers. We believe that every child deserves an outstanding education, and we are committed to working beyond the walls of our schools to achieve that goal through our professional development workshops, books, and district partnerships.
The Special Assistant (SA) supports the President by leading all aspects of the administrative tasks crucial to the President’s team: planning and drafting communications, and performing project management for the President’s network-wide initiatives! The SA reports directly to the President’s Chief of Staff and works regularly with the Chief Schools Officer’s teams, the Chief of Operations team, and Uncommon Schools’ Home Office Staff. We are looking for a go-getter with a can-do demeanor. The role will provide an outstanding opportunity to see and learn about school management and public charter school operations at the network-wide level! Location is flexible between Newark, NYC, and remote; travel between regions or to retreat locations may be required about 4-6 times annually.
Administrative Tasks of the President’s Office
- Ensure the President’s time is maximized and aligned with the organization’s priorities by seamlessly running their calendar, arranging meetings, and coordinating all details of travel, including creating a comprehensive travel itinerary
- Deliver daily President briefs and weekly calendar to communicate the President’s schedule and outstanding action items
- Provide critical support for the entire team, including credit card reconciliation, reimbursement processing, and other vital administrative duties
- Create and maintain strategic trackers and metrics to ensure progress on high-level work towards goals and landmarks
- Exemplify a growth mentality through continuing to innovate and refine systems to best support the President and their office
- Support in meetings when needed, creating presentations or taking minutes
Program Management Support for the President’s Organization-Wide Initiatives
- Lead a team of individuals to continuously build and maintain internal systems to supervise school data and information across the network
- Project manage and operationalize the President’s innovative initiatives
- Handle President communication plan, drafts, and execution
- Run a program called Lead from Within, a network-wide mentorship program for school-based leaders of color; orchestrating events and communications, supporting content creation, and establishing relationships with program participants
- Support in shaping a joyful staff culture within the President's team and/or school and Home Office leaders
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, particularly a skillset in inspirational communications preferred
- Exceptional organizational skills that reflect an ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly and fastidiously all the way to completion
- Strong growth mentality with an inclination to reflect and improve
- High level of flexibility; Able to reprioritize and pivot quickly with an enthusiastic and can-do demeanor
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and remain detail-focused
- An eagerness and confidence to propose new insights and systems
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to form relationships with multiple partners and teams
- Highly inventive and problem-solving team-player, with the ability to be very effective independently, as well
Uncommon Schools offers salaries commensurate with experience and a very generous benefits and vacation package. All staff members receive extensive professional development, and are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.