Senior Accountant (Temporary)
- New York, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (Home Office)
- HO Team: Accounting
Uncommon Schools (Uncommon) Uncommon Schools is a nonprofit network of high-performing public schools that are increasing the academic achievement of historically under-resourced communities and preparing students for success in college and beyond. Uncommon currently manages 54 schools serving more than 20,000 students in six cities: Boston, Camden, New York City, Newark, Rochester, and Troy. We have achieved outstanding academic results based on internal assessments, statewide exams, and graduation milestones.
Uncommon is going through an accounting system implementation. We are looking to have additional support over the next 6-9 months to handle overflow work that will take place during this time. This can include supporting the current activities of the accounting team as well as assisting with work related to the system implementation.
This temporary position will report to the Director of Accounting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and maintain financial record keeping and reporting systems
- Process payroll, receivables, payables, cash receipts, cash disbursements and general ledger
- Prepare and post journal entries including yearly closing entries
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations and follow up on unusual items
- Prepare for annual audit
- Maintain the Fixed Asset and associated depreciation schedules on the accounting system
- Preform rigorous quality control on all accounting records and docum
- Performs various accounting, administrative and other related duties as assigned and required by the role
Reports to the Director of Accounting and works closely with the entire Accounting and Financial Management teams; interacts with all Home Office personnel and school based teams.
1) Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Accounting background
- Understanding of accounting principles and ability to read financial statements
- Skilled in dealing with financial and numeric data
- Experience in accounting for a multi-site organization preferred
- Skilled in use of MS Excel.
- MS Word experience
- Strong writing capabilities.
- Obsessive attention to detail and follow-through.
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong problem-solving abilities
- Ability to work well in a team
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment; flexible, able to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed
2) Educational background:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related area
- Minimum 6-8 years of experience in non-profit development, accounting, or public sector finance preferred.
- Experience in K-12 public education preferred.
Uncommon Schools offers salaries commensurate with experience and a very generous benefits and vacation package. All staff members receive extensive professional development, and are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.