Director of Growth Strategy
- New York, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (Home Office)
- HO Team: External Affairs
Uncommon Schools (Uncommon) Uncommon Schools is a nonprofit network of high-performing public schools that are increasing the academic achievement of historically under-resourced communities and preparing students for success in college and beyond. Uncommon currently manages 54 schools serving more than 20,000 students in six cities: Boston, Camden, New York City, Newark, Rochester, and Troy. We have achieved outstanding academic results based on internal assessments, statewide exams, and graduation milestones.
The Director of Growth Strategy owns and is responsible for crafting and leading the student recruitment, enrollment, and retention strategy for all Uncommon’s schools! The Director of Enrollment is accountable for running the annual enrollment cycle across all 6 regions and 54 schools where Uncommon operates, ensuring we hit 100% enrollment across all grades and schools.
This is a new position at Uncommon and is an exciting opportunity to revamp and build our recruitment and enrollment strategy from the ground up! The Director will be instrumental in crafting, developing, implementing, and monitoring the org-wide enrollment strategy. The ideal candidate is comfortable with building both the strategy and driving the execution, often simultaneously, and is passionate about taking on the challenges and opportunities inherent in founding a new organizational function.
The Director will be responsible for building out and leading enrollment teams for each region. Management includes, but is not limited, to reporting, training, accountability management, analyzing trends, sharing standard methodologies, and effectively rolling out new initiatives or modifications to existing practices.
This role report to the Chief Advisor, who sits on the Executive Team and leads external affairs. The Director of Growth Strategy will collaborate closely with others across the organization, especially the Director of Marketing and Communications who will lead the marketing strategy, our Managing Directors of Operations, who are responsible for school and regional operations and budgets, and Regional Senior Directors who lead all aspects of e external affairs in each region.
We are seeking a leader who has a deep understanding of what types of strategies and tactics are needed to accomplish our student enrollment goals and is motivated by data and results. You must be comfortable with ambiguity and able to creatively problem solve to accomplish our shared goals.
- Lead Uncommon to achieve 100% enrollment in all schools on the first day of classes
- Design, develop, refine, and execute on enrollment and relationship development strategy across the recruitment and enrollment season including pre-launch, application launch, lottery, orientation, registration, and the first day of school and ongoing throughout the school year
- Analyze data to develop new strategies to overcome any enrollment challenges
- Hire, onboard, develop, hold accountable and retain enrollment teams in every region
- Own central data analysis for enrollment across Uncommon, including developing systems, and producing projections and weekly reports, and responding to ad-hoc requests
- Coordinate with Marketing, Data Analytics, Operations, and other relevant teams to continue to refine and adapt Uncommon’s enrollment strategy
- Work with the Director of Marketing to align the marketing and enrollment strategies throughout enrollment lifecycle
- Work closely with regional and school leaders to ensure successful change management and implementation
- 5-7 years of experience with emphasis in student recruitment, project management, relationship development, pipeline management and lifecycle programs.
- 2+ years leading large teams, managing at least 3 reports
- Highly developed staff management and leadership skills, with the ability to lead, develop, and manage multiple teams
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively and cross-functionally
- Entrepreneurial, growth mentality, comfortable with gray areas and a passion for building systems and structures from scratch
- Experience designing, implementing, and leading large scale projects
- Experience in data analysis and process management
- Strong dedication to Uncommon’s mission
- Bachelors degree required, MBA preferred
- Experience leading remote or geographically dispersed teams
- Experience with CRM tools (Salesforce, Hubspot, etc.)
- Understanding of K-12 landscape, ideally with charter schools
- Familiarity with performance marketing and associated metrics
Uncommon Schools offers salaries commensurate with experience and a very generous benefits and vacation package. All staff members receive extensive professional development, and are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.