Senior HR Generalist (Temporary)
- New York, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (Home Office)
- HO Team: Human Resources
Uncommon Schools (Uncommon) Uncommon Schools is a nonprofit network of high-performing public schools that are increasing the academic achievement of historically under-resourced communities and preparing students for success in college and beyond. Uncommon currently manages 54 schools serving more than 20,000 students in six cities: Boston, Camden, New York City, Newark, Rochester, and Troy. We have achieved outstanding academic results based on internal assessments, statewide exams, and graduation milestones.
Senior Associate Director of Human Resources (Temporary -- 10 to 12 months)
Human Resources Team Overview
The Uncommon Human Resources team (HR) is based in New York City and provides support to 2,500+ staff members across 54 schools and the Home Office (HO). Working in close collaboration with regional and school leaders, as well as HO managers, the team provides high-quality HR operations services as part of Uncommon’s overall investment in our people. The team works closely with other Talent teams, including Recruitment and Talent Development to deliver an outstanding employee experience.
We are seeking an autonomous, service oriented teammate to join our Human Resources operations team and support the administration of our HR policies, procedures and programs! Day to day operations include: payroll support, workforce planning, employee relations, policy implementation, workforce data analysis and other related tasks.
Planning and Team Management
- Partner with the Director of HR Operations to execute and to identify, prioritize, and implement key initiatives
- Support the Director with the annual planning processes
- Assist with team management responsibilities, which may include managing HR associate and coordinator level staff
- Serve as an outstanding role model, leader and manager, investing deeply in supporting and developing HR operations team members and growing their capacity to learn, give, and engage in team and organization's work!
- Provides daily HR support to our employees and managers, utilizing customer service ticketing systems, knowledge library, and other resources.
- As service ambassador, provide feedback from schools to inform the work of the HR team at large and ensure employee services are efficient and continue to evolve according to need.
- Plans and executes on communication and implementation of HR initiatives for schools and regions alongside HR team leaders.
- Collaborates with Accounting team and schools to support time and attendance management and payroll processing, etc.
- Effectively onboard and off-board all employees including I-9 compliance, contract issuance, ensuring staff receive necessary onboarding documents and exit survey distribution.
Process development and Data Analysis
- Assist with the documentation and standardization of HR business processes in preparation for new HRIS implementation.
- Assists with development, implementation, and monitoring of knowledge management processes across HR functions.
- Build, lead, and maintain HR team data dashboards and other data analysis tools;
- Manage, track, and analyze metrics within the HR teams’ service delivery model.
- In collaboration with the Director of Employee Relations/Counsel responds to employee relations issues and concerns promptly and effectively.
- Advise and help train managers on key employee relations topics (e.g. effective mentorship, documentation and corrective action).
HR Policy Implementation
- Communicates and documents policies and programs clearly and consistently to staff and managers.
- Efficiently implements HR policies, programs and processes. Ensures network-wide adoption of policies and programs by responding to feedback and assisting networks in implementation.
- Finds opportunities to improve policies and propose solutions to correct inconsistencies and gaps
- Assesses adherence to HR school-related compliance requirements to achieve operational excellence.
- Experience with ADP Workforce Now preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required, Professional Human Resources (PHR) Certification preferred
- 4-6 years of progressively responsible HR experience
- Experience leading small teams (up to 3 direct reports)
Skills and Experience
- Passion for the Uncommon mission.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with demonstrated ability to speak and write clearly and persuasively
- Strong client focus and the ability to establish partnerships and work collaboratively with school leaders
- Excellent organization, time management, and follow-up skills; ability to prioritize and demonstrate an appropriate sense of urgency
- Thrives in evolving, fast-paced, high-change multifaceted organizations
- Outstanding judgment, sensitivity and high discretion
- Self-directed with solid attention to detail and ability to project manage
- Knowledge of employment law in NY, NJ, and/or Massachusetts
- Above average knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Willing to travel to our schools throughout our six regions
- Background working with entrepreneurial or start-up organizations is strongly preferred
Uncommon Schools offers salaries commensurate with experience and a very generous benefits and vacation package. All staff members receive extensive professional development, and are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.