- New York, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (Home Office)
- HO Team: Human Resources
Uncommon Schools (Uncommon) Uncommon Schools is a nonprofit network of high-performing public schools that are increasing the academic achievement of historically under-resourced communities and preparing students for success in college and beyond. Uncommon currently manages 54 schools serving more than 20,000 students in six cities: Boston, Camden, New York City, Newark, Rochester, and Troy. We have achieved outstanding academic results based on internal assessments, statewide exams, and graduation milestones.
External Job Title: HR Generalist
Internal Job Title: Associate Director of Human Resources
Human Resources Team Overview
The Uncommon Human Resources (HR) team is based in New York City and provides support to 2,500+ staff members across 54 schools and the Home Office (HO). Working in close collaboration with regional and school leaders, as well as HO managers, the team provides high-quality HR operations services as part of Uncommon’s overall investment in our people. The team works closely with Uncommon’s other Talent teams, including Recruitment, Talent Development, and Diversity to deliver an outstanding employee experience.
We are seeking an autonomous, service oriented teammate to join our Human Resources operations team and support the administration of our HR policies, procedures and programs! Day to day operations include: payroll support, workforce planning, employee relations, policy implementation, workforce data analysis and other related tasks.
- Provides daily HR support to our employees and managers, utilizing customer service ticketing systems, knowledge library, and other resources.
- Assists HR team leaders with planning and roll-out of HR programs and initiatives.
- Collaborates with Accounting team members and school leaders to support time and attendance management and payroll processing, etc.
- Effectively onboard and off-board all employees including I-9 compliance, contract issuance, ensuring staff receive necessary onboarding documents and exit survey distribution.
- Under the direction of the Director of HR/Counsel to respond to employee relations issues and concerns promptly and effectively.
- Advise and help train managers on key employee relations topics (e.g. effective mentorship, documentation and corrective action).
HR Policy Implementation
- Communicates and documents policies and programs clearly and consistently to staff and managers.
- Successfully implements HR policies, programs and processes. Ensures network-wide adoption of policies and programs by responding to feedback and assisting networks in implementation.
- Finds opportunities to improve team policies and propose solutions to change inconsistent HR policies and gaps
- Assesses adherence to related compliance requirements to achieve operational excellence.
Workforce Data and Analysis
- Executes requests for data and delivers appropriate analysis of meaningful HR data
- Compiles information for routine reporting and analysis (e.g. wage/salary analysis, retention, state/federal reporting, etc).
- Experience with ADP Workforce Now preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required, Professional Human Resources (PHR) Certification preferred
- 3-4 years of HR generalist experience
Skills and Experience
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with demonstrated ability to speak and write clearly and persuasively
- Strong focus on clients and the ability to establish partnerships and work collaboratively with school leaders
- Excellent organization, time management, and follow-up skills; ability to prioritize and demonstrate an appropriate sense of urgency
- Strong client focus and an ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituents
- Thrives in evolving, fast-paced, high-change multifaceted organizations
- Knowledge of benefit plans’ structure/requirements and insurance claims management
- Outstanding judgment, sensitivity and high discretion
- Proactive and able to chip in individually and as a member of a team
- Solid attention to detail and ability to project manage
- Some knowledge of employment law in NY, NJ, and/or Massachusetts
- Above average knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Interest in education/charter schools a plus
- Willing to travel to our schools throughout our six regions
- Background working with entrepreneurial organizations is strongly preferred
- Have a ‘can-do’/flexible approach to work
Uncommon Schools offers salaries commensurate with experience and a very generous benefits and vacation package. All staff members receive extensive professional development, and are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.