Instructional Aide (SY 20-21)
- Newark, NJ, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (SY 19-20)
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
Under the direction of a certified classroom teacher and/or school administrator, instructional aides supplement student education and assist classroom teachers with instructional, behavior management, and/or administrative duties. They support the physical, behavioral, and academic needs of a specific student or group of students with special needs throughout the school day.
- Provide instructional reinforcement for individual students or small groups of students
- Assist teacher with classroom management and general supervision of the class
- Assist with administrative duties such as setting up equipment and preparing materials
- Supervise students in the cafeteria, specials, hallways, and on field trips
- Attend to students' physical, personal, academic, and emotional needs
- Support students with special needs by following provisions specified in their IEPs/504 Plans
- Perform other duties as directed by the classroom teacher and school administration
- Implement and enhance the school’s systems and culture
- Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues
- Commit to professional growth
- Adhere to the policies, standards, and school-wide responsibilities described in the Staff Handbook
- Consistently demonstrate belief in and alignment with Uncommon’s core values and educational philosophy
- Demonstrate a relentless drive to improve the minds and lives of their students in and out of school
- A minimum of 48 College Credits
- Valid NJ criminal history letter
- Negative tuberculosis test obtained within 6 months of initial employment
Uncommon Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.