Music Teacher (Immediate Start)
- Rochester, NY, USA
- Hiring Start Time: Immediate Start (SY 19-20)
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
Our Music Teachers hold the primary responsibility for the implementation and development of Uncommon’s music and arts curriculum and the success of its students. Therefore, Uncommon Schools seeks teachers who are committed to becoming outstanding educators, who are continuously improving instructional practices in Rochester Prep's Music School Program through collaboration and targeted development within their school community.
- Implement music curricula and activities to meet our high academic standards
- Participate and support grade-level activities and school-wide functions and programming throughout the school-year
- Focus constantly on student learning, thinking critically and strategically to respond to student learning needs
- Foster a positive, structured learning environment to ensure that students observe the school’s core values, high expectations, and code of conduct
- Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues
- Commit to continual professional growth, participating actively in our annual, three-week staff orientation training in August and instructional training throughout the school year
- Passionate dedication to the mission of Uncommon Schools and deep enthusiasm for music education!
- Drive to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of the classroom;
- Evidence of self-motivation and willingness to collaborate with fellow teachers;
- Bachelor’s degree is required; candidates must have earned a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher;
- Valid State Certification is helpful but not required. Belief in and alignment with Uncommon’s core beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable.
Uncommon Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.